Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki S50
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know it's probably not critical, but I figured it was worth asking.

I'm about to buy a jug of Rotella T4 for an upcoming oil change in my '05 S50. I don't feel the need to go full synthetic as I'm not looking for extended intervals and I ride pretty conservatively. If it matters, I'm in Massachusetts, and when it's cold, I just don't ride. In fact, the bike is stored from about November to March.

So the real question is, with the manual calling for 10W-40, and Rotella available only in 5W-40 or 15W-40, which would be better for my purposes? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
You should NOT use T4.....because I'm pretty sure that it is not approved for wet clutch use and may cause you expensive trouble down the road.
Just pony up the couple of extra bucks for T6 then you don't have to worry about it.
And you don't have to get EXACTLY the weight that is recommended.
Either one of those you listed would be fine.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki S50
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm not concerned about the extra $10. But according to the back of the jug (see pic), it meets JASO MA/MA2 requirements. I thought that was the big concern. As for the weight, I realize both are "fine'. Just wondering if given the choice for my usage and environment, if one would be better than the other.

Font Material property Parallel Document Screenshot

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
But according to the back of the jug (see pic), it meets JASO MA/MA2 requirements. I thought that was the big concern.
Yes, it is. I stand corrected.
The T6 should give you better protection incase of an overheat or sudden loss of oil.

As for the weight, higher numbers if you live where it is REALLY HOT or lower if you live where it is COLD.
In most environments, it doesn't make any practical difference.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki S50
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. It can get in the single digits in the dead of winter when the bike's in the shed. And it can get in the 90s in the summer when I'm riding. But I'm certainly never going to attempt to start it in the winter, so there is that. I'll probably flip a coin. ;)

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki S50
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, not that anyone needs convincing, but I just happened to be recommended this video while browsing around YouTube. I wasn't doubting Rotella before watching it, but now I'm feeling a lot more comfortable about having made the switch. In fact, just bought another $15 jug of 15W-40 T4 this afternoon getting ready for my next change.

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
Hey, not that anyone needs convincing, but I just happened to be recommended this video while browsing around YouTube. I wasn't doubting Rotella before watching it, but now I'm feeling a lot more comfortable about having made the switch. In fact, just bought another $15 jug of 15W-40 T4 this afternoon getting ready for my next change.
Does T4 have the proper certification for motorcycles ?
Why would you NOT go with T6 synthetic for just a few dollars more ??

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki S50
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does T4 have the proper certification for motorcycles ?
Yes, it does. I believe you acknowledged that in your previous post in this thread.

Why would you NOT go with T6 synthetic for just a few dollars more ??
No particular reason, but I'm also not averse to saving a few bucks if I can. I'm good about changing it regularly and I ride pretty conservatively. And as far as I know it's only ever used conventional oil. Old wives' tale or not, in the back of my mind are the stories of older bikes developing little leaks when switched over to synthetic. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts