Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am considering lowering the M50. I have read through TONS of comments on how it feels, how its done, how hard it was, blah blah blah. But my question is after lowering (2.5 - 3 inches) does the entire bike feel lower or does it kind of feel like you're leaning back a bit? I love the lean look of the M50, but sometimes I wish it was alittle bit more slanted looking to the rear. Thanx in advance for any help!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I went with the 2 1/2 drop on mine, and it lowered the rear of the bike only, so it enhances that raked out look even more. If this tropical storm gives me half a chance i'll post a pic of it tomorrow.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, alright man, thanx. That what I was hoping to hear!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am waiting for some friends to help me put on my 2" kit ( I don't have a garage) I am hoping that it will lower the center of gravity enough to make the bike more stable at highway speeds.
If I get it done by this weekend I will give you a full review.:bluethum:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Wow, I have no issues with stability on the highway.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
don't forget about possible turning/scraping issue's.......I've scuffed a peg quite alot during my turns.......so be prepaired for that after said lowering.

·
Registered
110 Posts
ive loriginally lowered mine 3 inches and had cobra streetrod pipes on. and scraped everytime i took a right turn. so i raised it up to 1 inch. and the pipes only scraped once in a while. i now have turndown exhaust so no scrape issues and the ride is great with just a 2 in drop kit on it. but if you want the slammed look which i like the best go with the 3 in. drop. 2 in looks great though plus in my opinon has better functionality. do scrape pipes dont bottom out better for 2up riding. but if you really just want slammed looks 3in is the way to go. that wheel is tucked nice in the fender. the pick to the left is stock height, the two in the middle is the 2in drop with me on it. and the one to the right is 2in drop also without me on it. now when you sit on the bike it will drop another 1/2 to 1 inch so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx a million guys, I do ALOT of 2-up riding, probably almost half of my riding is 2-up. I'll probably go with a 2" drop cuz I don't mind scraping pegs but I don't wanna tear my stock pipes up. I'll let you guys know how it turns out when I get it done.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I am waiting for some friends to help me put on my 2" kit ( I don't have a garage) I am hoping that it will lower the center of gravity enough to make the bike more stable at highway speeds.
If I get it done by this weekend I will give you a full review.:bluethum:
A lowering kit isn't going to change the straight line highway rideability.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Digi-- I haven't done it yet but I have to dissagree--it's like anything else when you lower the center of gravity you change the dynamics of the bike. It might not be a huge difference but it will make some.

Think about it--if you jacked the bike up higher than stock it would feel verry unstable at higher speeds and be harder to corner. by lowering it the bike will be more stable and corner better (untill you hit the pegs)LOL.

·
Registered
617 Posts
A lowering kit isn't going to change the straight line highway rideability.

Actually If you lower the rear of the bike, it changes the rake ane trail enough to alter the steering geometry slightly, effectively adding more "caster". I did notice that my M50 was a bit more stable during all aspects of riding after I lowered it. However, the Initial turn in was SLIGHTLY slower.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I did the 3" drop on my M50. The only problem I've ever experienced with it was in conjunction with the saddlebag mounts which were improperly mounted. If you don't use the spacers, the long bolts will rub against the rear tire. Just use the spacers and you're golden.

I have noticed that it is a lot easier to scrape the pegs and the pipes after the lowering bones.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
There are so many other factors that have a much greter influence on straight line stability that lowering the rear end 2 inches isn't going to make a significant difference.

1) the inertial gyroscopic force of both wheels.
2) aero drag coefficient
3) The "real world" drop. Keep in mind the suspension compresses when you sit on it now. When you drop it, its not going to compress an equal amount. A 2 inch drop with a 200 lb rider in the saddle is probably around an inch lower than an undropped suspension on the highway.

From a physics standpoint, that small a change in the real world center of gravity (less than an inch) isn't going to change the overall stability of the bike in a straight line. In a corner, its going to be different. Should be a small move toward the better.

If you're bike feels "unstable" on the highway, I'm guessing you've got issues involved that a drop aren't going to fix. (should have said it that way, sorry)

Are your tires inflated properly? Where's your suspension set? Are you running a windshield?

·
Registered
122 Posts
wtf

I do not ride a Gixxr, and my name is not Valentino..........

I dropped mine 3" and it looks hot.

heel drag, peg drag, pipe drag.......so what!!!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
291 Posts
digital--no I dont have a windshield,tires are proper,and suspension is stock (for now).

I don't see how dropping the suspension 2 in. and adding a 200lb rider(how did you know my weight by the way--LOL) is only going to equal a 1in. drop on the highway?
2in drop+1in rider me(200)=3in total.
I would say that should have an impact on the characteristics of the bike.
As I said not a huge difference but there will be one.

and yes a lower center of gravity will change things all around,not just in a croner.
By the way I don't have a problem with the bike but I have ridden other bikes that felt more stable at higher speeds. My bike seems a little loose above 70 and am hoping the 2in. drop helps (even a minor change would help).
Don't forget I ride in the uneven pavement/pot hole capital of the world---good old New York---everytime they fix a road, it just get's worse!!:bluethum::lol4:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I lowered mine 3" and have no complaints! I never really even scraped the pegs, guess I don’t ride as aggressive as you all. It's a nice sleek low look and a lower center of gravity which feels nice when riding turns. I also like how my feet are a little flatter when I’m stopped plus I can get better leverage when I’m backing it up.

First pic is before it was lowered.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well I finaly lowered my bike this weekend---wow what a difference.

installation was fairly simple (make sure you read the instructions:whistle:)
it took me and a buddy a little over an hour. loosening the bolts was the hardest part--the top one was the worst, definitly DO NOT try to loosen the bolts from the left side they have short heads so there isn't much to get the socket on. other than that it was a straight forward install.

The bike feels more relaxed on the highway--not as easily pushed around by the wind or bumps (more stable):mrgreen:

I was a little nervous at first when taking highway ramps (didn't know when it would start to scrape) but it leaned just as far as I normaly do with no issues. ( I only have the 2" kit)

All in all the bike looks better--feels better--and rides better, for anyone wondering if they want to do it--go right ahead:bluethum:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cool man, thanx. Glad to hear it turned out so good. Have any of you hit any good sized bumps ith it lowered and completely bottomed out? I just thought about that...

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
cool man, thanx. Glad to hear it turned out so good. Have any of you hit any good sized bumps ith it lowered and completely bottomed out? I just thought about that...

yep.......avoid-(I was unable to once) thin/tall speed bumps at all costs.

and

steep driveways that flatten out to level streets, if you can help it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I haven't yet but the weather turned real cold here I probably won't get to ride untill the end of the week--as for the 40ish miles I rode after the 2"drop there were no problems.. Fingers crossed:bluethum:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts