Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, all. Don't post here much, but lurk.

I'm looking at buying a middleweight cruiser within the next year or so. Use will be primarily local rides 100-300 miles, with some longer tours thrown in, perhaps 2-3000. I weigh about 275 and I ride in a leisurely fashion...not out to set speed records, but like the cruising and touring.

I like the C50C (cast wheels and tubeless tires)-very comfortable and nice ergonomics on it...not too heavy, but heavy enough for stability and light enough for reasonable handling.

I've been over on the M50 site and have discovered that some of the folks over there are reporting some significant engine failures at about 30K...may be cam chain tensioner or something like that. Apparently, that problem appears mostly on '05 models, which was the first year for that machine.

Since the C50 uses the same engine, I'd like to know if C50 owners have experienced similar problems and, if so, are those problems limited to the '05 model year, or other years as well? There are some pretty nice alternatives, including the V-Star 950 and the Vulcan 900 Custom, so I still have choices, but there are some pretty good deals going right now, so I just need the 411.

Thanks in advance for all responses...I appreciate your assistance and expertise...

Bob

·
Registered
335 Posts
Bob,

The C50 is a solid bike. I've had mine for over 3 years with no major issues or breakdowns. As I've posted in another thread, I haven't heard of the cam chain tensioner being an issue with the C50's at 30K, just a few reporting needing new clutches. I'm currently at 23k and the only thing my bike does is burn just shy of a 1/2 quart of oil between the 3k oil & filter changes.

The C50 will pull you around all day and get you between 47-52 mpg doing it. If you plan any 2-up riding remember the max weight capacity for this bike is around 430, and anything close to that weight will require the next lower gear than usual to get you going.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely helps...thanks for the response. The C50 is my favorite bike in the 800-1000cc engine capacity-it's been around a long time and I'm pleased to know that folks are doing well with it.

I ride strictly solo, so shouldn't be a problem.

Good to know that the bike will go if I will....

Bob

·
Registered
532 Posts
I had a C50 for 3 years & 27k miles, with nary a complaint, other than not enough time to ride! I had installed a set of riders (not too high) and a corbin dual tour seat, and it was damned near a perfect ride. I traded it this year for a VStar 950T, mostly for the looks, the cast wheels, an the integrated hard bags -- I was very happy the the C50. However, while I was waiting for the VStar, my dealer got in a new C50 in dark green & creme. I came VERY close to canceling the 950 and buying the new C50.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I've had my C50 for over 2 years and its done everything I wanted it to do and I've had no problems with it to date. I ride solo so I can't give and advise on 2 up riding.

Its been a great bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
RE: problems with the C50

Hi,
I have a 2007 C50T I purchased it new in May '08. I have put a little over 21,000 miles on it. Yes I do love to ride.

Absolutely NO problems!!!

My last bike was a 1988 Shadow, I did without a bike from 1992-2008 (May). God willing, I will ride till I die.

Oh, as for comfort. I too am not a light weight I currently weigh 234lbs, though my cardiologist is determined to change that. I hope he succeeds.

:bluethum:

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have a C50T that I bought brand new and I have extensively maintained/fixed and here have been a list of the problems I have/had since new:

1. 800 miles: Excessive piston slap, still trying to get Suzuki to fix.
2. 1200 miles: Cuts out a low speed (40 to 45MPH) like it is not getting fuel. Added Power Commander, it helped.
3. 1200 miles: When the fuel tank gets down to 1/2 full, loses the ability to idle, still trying to get Suzuki to fix.
4. 1200 miles: When you fill the gas tank as per the manual and it gets hot out, it will over flow out the gas cap and in to the vapor recovery system due to it inability to properly relieve pressure, still trying to get Suzuki to fix.
5. 10K clutch went out.

Getting Suzuki to back their product is pretty much impossible, so if you have problems, plan on fixing them your self. I would recommend either Kawasaki or Yamaha. Me personally, I will only buy Kawasaki or Yamaha now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2008 C50c. It has almost 10,000 miles on it. No vibration at any speed, no the fastest bike but does the job and looks good doing it. I ride two up with my wife often, it will do the speed limit no problem.

Only thing I have a problem with is that it has a hard time hitting 100MPH. The factory tires wear out fast. Handles great. I will ride it until snow falls

·
Registered
328 Posts
05 m50 bought last year and now going on 12000 miles in the last 14 months. No problems, I ride single most of the time, I weigh in @ 300 and the bike has enough power and speed for me. I've only topped out once, climbing some steep ass mountain passes in Washington and it topped @ 85mph which was moving me faster then traffic and plenty fast enough for my tastes. The "vibrations" at freeway speeds doesn't bother me, fairly mild compared to some. Wouldn't mind a 6th gear on the freeway though.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hey Bob - you sound like my twin! I too am around the 275 mark and am a "slow" solo rider. I've got a 2008 C50T and I don't have any real complaints. It gets me where I need to go and it does it quick enough for my liking. You won't win any drag races against your buddies, but I think you're probably like me and don't care about that. I haven't noticed any unpleasant vibrations at interstate speeds.

I've added a few things, but I would highly recommend a sheep skin seat cover. I think it cost about $50 or so from Alaska Leather. My next purchase will be a back rest. It's my 3rd bike and I have no major complaints. I would recommend it to new riders and experienced riders alike.

·
Banned
47 Posts
The only reason why I sold my 2006 C50C is because I felt it did not have enough power for me. In the city it was perfect. But on highways even though i was able to ride 95mph it sounded like engine is step away from its limit.

I am 280lb myself and added all possible bolt-ons to bring HP up. Still it was only 52HP. I switched to C109 and found the power I have been missing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello I have a 2012 c50 with a slight spark tick plus slow power increase when I roll the throttle the engine will not reach full rpm I have change all new fuel components injectors bat vac lines but still the same.....seems to be running to lean.....help plt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does it have a stock muffler and stock air filter on it ?
Have you tried higher octane fuel ?
Also could be a vacuum leak around the intake.
I do run a high octane non ethanol 93 plus we added a booster to increase octane. I am running all stock parts plus stock air filter...have not checked intake area for vacuum leak but I have checked all vac lines....I will check into the intake as soon as I get home from work plus post any new or if I find a solution. Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No leaks around the intake but my brand new battery I did put it on a charger before I mounted it for full charge now the battery is almost dead. Rechecked all the things I have replaced and I haven't gotten any change. Honestly the ECM, rectifier or stater (not sure of name on a metric motorcycle) changed the starter relay. I haven't change the MAFS or MAPS yet. Would the coils have anything to do with it? I'm going to have to bye a tester for electric for proper voltage exc... I don't have a mechanic near me. So I do appreciate all replies

·
Super Moderator
13,713 Posts
I do run a high octane non ethanol 93 plus we added a booster to increase octane.
WAY too much obsession with octane.
You might be partially causing the problem yourself with that fuel mixture.
IF the bike is designed to run on "regular" I suggest that you try a tank of that......with NO additives.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts