Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am. It seems my helmet has latex (which i'm allergic to) in it and it is beginning to drive me crazy. Does anybody else have this problem?

I currently have a Scorpion EXO-700.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a hypoallergenic helmet. I've been contacting the customer support of some helmet manufacturers (Bell, Scorpion, just wrote HCJ) but they don't seem to know.

As it is, I have to go to the store and wear one for a while to see if I get a reaction or not. It is a real drag.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
wear a skullcap. just a suggestion - i haven't actually worn one yet, but i'm planning on finding one since every time i put my helmet on it rips my damned ears off....

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Yeah, skull cap is about all I could come up with too. I wear one myself to keep my hair neater....otherwise it might be too much of a shock for folks when I actually take my helmet off.

They have several styles, some you tie back...others you don't. In the winter I wear one which covers my whole head and neck. It's thinsulate to keep me warm...but I would bet they also have them in like a silk or something.

I got mine from the motorcycle issue of a JC Whitney catalog. Try there too.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

The skull caps are a good idea. I have tried the bandanna thing and it seems to lessen, but not eliminate, the irritation.

I have been investigating hypoallergenic helmets. I have found two that claim to be hypoallergenic, the Suomy Vandal series and the Nolan X801-R series. Since I can't find anyone stocking these helmets here in LA's South Bay I had to take a chance and order a Suomy from a place in Oregon, Sandhill Motor Sports. They will let me return the helmet as long as I don't use it. I can tell if I have a reaction by just trying it on.

I hope one of these work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been investigating hypoallergenic helmets. I have found two that claim to be hypoallergenic, the Suomy Vandal series and the Nolan X801-R series. Since I can't find anyone stocking these helmets here in LA's South Bay I had to take a chance and order a Suomy from a place in Oregon, Sandhill Motor Sports. They will let me return the helmet as long as I don't use it. I can tell if I have a reaction by just trying it on.

I hope one of these work.[/QUOTE]
==========================

I realize it has been quite a while since this thread was written, but I've been having the same problem. Did you find a hypo-allergenic helmet that works for you?

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,182 Posts
I'm no expert, but I would suspect that the top-end helmets would be a better choice than the on-the-cheap models.

First, I would get some good quality balaclavas - I have several made from 100% cotton, as well as one that contains some silk. The cotton ones only cost a few Euros, so it's no major investment.

Then, I would contact the manufacturers. I've had excellent service from Schuberth (who also manufactures for BMW and Harley-Davidson, I believe). Contact them and ask for a list of models which are free of those substances you are allergic to (if any). I specifically mention Schuberth since they also manufacture helmets for many racers (Formula 1, etc.) so they are probably better prepared to answer questions about the helmet materials, etc.

www.schuberth.com
www.araiamericas.com
www.[B]shoei-helmets.com

[/B]I would imagine that the "low-end" manufacturers (thinking about HJC, Bell and others) will have less to offer, but you might get lucky.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm no expert, but I would suspect that the top-end helmets would be a better choice than the on-the-cheap models.

First, I would get some good quality balaclavas - I have several made from 100% cotton, as well as one that contains some silk. The cotton ones only cost a few Euros, so it's no major investment.

I completely agree with this. I have never given much thought to having an allergic reaction to a helmet liner, but it is in fact entirely true that it can and has happened. I personally have not had any such reaction, but there have been a few cheaper helmets that I have tried on that had a strange, chemical-like odor that made me take it off after only a few moments. Now I don't waste my time - All of my lids are Shoei.

And I do not put on any of them without wearing a balaclava. I use the Schampa product - both the cool-skin and the warm-skin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am. It seems my helmet has latex (which i'm allergic to) in it and it is beginning to drive me crazy. Does anybody else have this problem?

I currently have a Scorpion EXO-700.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a hypoallergenic helmet. I've been contacting the customer support of some helmet manufacturers (Bell, Scorpion, just wrote HCJ) but they don't seem to know.

As it is, I have to go to the store and wear one for a while to see if I get a reaction or not. It is a real drag.
The only hypoallergenic helmets are AFX. I also have a severe latex allergy. It is easier to find latex free riding gloves than helmets. Ride on!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts