Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2005 C90 and would like to install either Cobra Dragsters or V&H Classic II's or maybe something alltogether different...either way, I've read where some guys have installed pipes and run their bikes all over Gods creation with no power commander or the like installed and report no problems at all while others claim you gotta have 'em...whats the scoop? I had a Kawasaki Brute Force 750 quad at one time and installed a full Muzzy on it and had to have a power commander to optimize the fuel, or at least that was what I was told...so are bikes the same? Thanks:-?

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,185 Posts
My opinion ... you can replace the pipes without tweeking the engine programming, but you won't get the full benefit of the new pipes.

If you want to optimize the sound only, then all you need to do is replace the pipes.

If you want to optimize the fuel efficency and performance, then you need to reprogram the fuel injection system. This can be done either by installing (and configuring) a Power Commander, or having the EFI module reprogrammed by a qualified dealer.

·
Super Moderator
12,786 Posts
......while others claim you gotta have 'em...whats the scoop?
Believe NONE of what you hear and only half of what you see !!

No two situations are identical. Try it and see.
There is nothing to lose and much to gain by not doing "stuff" that you don't need.

Unless you have money to waste and prefer tinkering to riding, that is.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Like Easy said... Try it and ride it. When I had my C90 I installed Roadhouse 2 into 1 Classics on it and it popped like crazy. I had to install a fuel controller. On the other hand I know a guy with the same setup and his bike ran without popping... He had no need for a controller. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gentlemen...my plans will be to simply try it and see (w/o the optimizer). Very well stated Easy Rider: "Unless you have money to waste and prefer tinkering to riding, that is"...after I got rid of my Brute I said I'd never again buy something and modify the snot right out of it because I spent as much time riding as I did tuning which totally sucks unless thats what your into, which I am not. I'm looking for a more agressive tone to the exhaust, thats all, so unless the performance drops off, I'm not adding an optimizer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts