Motorcycle Forum banner

201 - 220 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just heard back from the dealer (decided to have it done professionally so Suzuki would be more likely to believe me if I called), no signs of rust and there was adequate grease from the factory in there.

It's a 2005 model year. Let me know if there are any other details that help identify production run /date / facility / etc. that might be useful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For what its worth i just took my rear wheel off for new tires and took the opportunity to check this. Bike is a 2007 with 14.6k miles on it and the shaft was BONE DRY. Luckily it had just started wearing a flat spot on the drive side of the shaft splines and there was a half a millimeter or so indentation on each of the cup splines where they mated. Went and got some naval jelly, moly, and a new oil seal and good as new (almost). The retainer clip gave me some trouble. I wound up taking one of those black spring clips you can get at office supply stores, removing the silver springsteel portion, and bending it over 180 degrees then hooking it into the retainer clip and squeezing with pliers. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I've been reading this thread for a month or so and ordered the seal and grease a couple weeks ago. Today was my day to get familiar with my new toy, a 2006 M50 with about 11,000 miles. Came apart fine, learn as I go. Axle was also fine, checked using burnchassis's method, pushing to move the shaft and finding no dust; actually you could tell there was some grease in there. Since I had a seal I removed old one by tapping with a chisel all around. Came off pretty easy. I think if you have an axle with lube, the seal will come off easily. If you have a dry axle the seal will give you trouble. Added more new grease and all is well. And I became familiar with my new toy and that's good too!:)
Thanks a ton burn! Your early work has made it easy for us. You're the best!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Completely awesome my friend!!!!
If I saved 1 person it was well worth all my efforts..and this has saved a few.
I'm so glad to help you have no idea! :)
Glad you got on a personal level with your machine too!
Most of all thank you for thanking me! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
I bet you're correct about the seal coming off easy if it is greased.
CS

Well, I've been reading this thread for a month or so and ordered the seal and grease a couple weeks ago. Today was my day to get familiar with my new toy, a 2006 M50 with about 11,000 miles. Came apart fine, learn as I go. Axle was also fine, checked using burnchassis's method, pushing to move the shaft and finding no dust; actually you could tell there was some grease in there. Since I had a seal I removed old one by tapping with a chisel all around. Came off pretty easy. I think if you have an axle with lube, the seal will come off easily. If you have a dry axle the seal will give you trouble. Added more new grease and all is well. And I became familiar with my new toy and that's good too!:)
Thanks a ton burn! Your early work has made it easy for us. You're the best!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all. I read this thread and became worried that mine may have an issue. Not for any particular reason other than I am anal about my bikes. So upon a cold nasty winter weekend before christmas I went ahead and tore into my new bike. I have an 06 with 13k on it that I got just before thanksgiving. Well, when I got it all apart I was rather irritated to find a dry, rusted piece of crap for a driveshaft. I stood it up and beat on it and all kinds of rust flew out. I pulled the seal off and pulled the shaft out of the final drive cup to see that the teeth were half worn off. :shock: So i started pricing out parts. Oh yeah the diff fluid in it was milky white also. Now i was even more mad about this situation. I priced all the pieces and decided to give ebay a stab. I bought a complete final drive with driveshaft from ebay for 70 bucks. I got a new seal from the dealer, pulled the shaft out, greased it, and reinstalled everything. Now I understand mechanical things wear out but that is rediculous!!! Just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hey Burnchassis, I'll be checking mine in the next month or so when I get new rubber to put on it. It's an '08 so I'm hoping its ok, but thanks for putting this info up so we can all check! You better believe if there's anything out of the ordinary I'll be marching down to my local 'Zuki shop...

·
Registered
5 Posts
It warmed into the 40's this weekend so I broke into the wife's M50 to see how things looked. There was not a lot of grease in there, but there was some. Replaced the spring, clip, and oil seal for good measure.

Only concerning issue was I drained the final drive oil and it was a 'grey/silver' color...wasn't expecting that. Filled her up with new synthetic and will see what happens. (There didn't appear to be any water mixed in)

Took time to put in new break drum pads as well. All in all pretty effortless update and worth the time and little cost to prevent a larger issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So i talked to the guys at my local dealer and they said to contact suzuki directly. He said that the consumer will get more attention than a dealer contacting them. It makes sense to me. It is the consumer that makes them money not dealers. I mean in the end if there is no one to the bike a dealer and a manufacturer cant make any money. Have you guys tried contacting suzuki directly?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
I sat at my dealer for about 45 minutes while he was on the phone with them.My case is documented for sure!
Good Idea though,but I wouldn't have a phone number or email address for a main source complaint dept.
Anyone have that??
CS

·
Registered
23 Posts
2006 M50 with 11K miles. There was some orange dust/rust/powder on the bottom of the drum brake housing, I was worried at first, but I did not see rust anywhere else... must have come from the brake pads. Pulled the oil seal, and drive shaft. Shaft splines and bearings look great, no rust, what grease that remains is very thin and liquidy. I consider my self lucky. Waiting on some moly 60 paste and a new oil seal. Thanks everyone, for all the informative postings :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, im not gonna lie, this problem is steering me away from a M50. I love the way they look, and the features they have, but this problem is ridiculous. How can a major bike manufacturer have a mass produced ongoing problem like this? Makes me wonder about their Quality Control. I am a new rider looking for my first bike. It has been between the M50 and Kawasaki Vulcan 900, now i am leaning towards the Kawi.

Can anyone bring some kind of assurance to me, because i would love to overlook this and buy an M50. Do the 07-09's have this problem also. Really not interested in having to tear apart the rear end of a new bike i know nothing about.

·
Registered
188 Posts
from what i understand the 08's and 09's don't have this problem.but i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong. i have had a few bikes over the years and worked on even more and i have never had a bike that didden't have at least one thing everyone warned you about:madd: they all have there problems it just takes longer for some of them to show up!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, i can understand that. This just seems like a pretty significant problem that a new rider might get slammed with. like burnchassis said, it could be a fatal accident if it locked the shaft up at high speeds. Maybe belt driven is looking better?

201 - 220 of 415 Posts