21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13,238 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
well we are considering northern ILL too for bike places. My buddy offered to use his pickup and go and grab a bike for me if I can get a better deal...so thats an option. I have reviewed the Triumph Tiger but heard awful complaints about the gear box and sore left feet. I dealt with that once before and dont want to again!

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
Triumphs shift that hard?

I knew the old Yamaha clunked some, and lately when the oil is dirty, it gets difficult to shift into first (when cold) but otherwise pretty good.

My old Honda (1980 cb 750) had a shifter that was as smooth as butter. So smooth, in fact, that it took some adjusting because you couldn't tell that it shifted until you let out the clutch. It shifted every time, never heard a clunk or a rattle.

Sounds like you may have to view some BMW options.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That is what I have read in the reviews....but I dont have any personal experience.

Ohh, I cant afford BMWs or H-Ds...no way unless I go used and for a bike, I really dont want to do that - at least not for my main bike - maybe a 2nd or 3rd...

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
I don't know about that, some of the highest mileage bikes I've ever seen were BMW's.

Just standard 7 - 800 cc machines with 60 - 70,000 miles on them. The sellers still wanted good coin for 15 year old bikes with those kinds of miles.

Usually don't see too many used; much like Honda ST11 - 1300, people just drive them until they're finished. The bike that is.

·
Registered
37 Posts
well we are considering northern ILL too for bike places. My buddy offered to use his pickup and go and grab a bike for me if I can get a better deal...so thats an option. I have reviewed the Triumph Tiger but heard awful complaints about the gear box and sore left feet. I dealt with that once before and dont want to again!
Read some tests on the 2008 Tiger its much improved.Have you looked at the Suzuki SV 1000 OR 650?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Wow...this was an older thread.

I have settled and purchased a 2008 V-Strom DL1000 in black.
It is on order...ETA unknown at this point. if I cant get one, my 2nd choice would be the Bandit 1250S in black. A bit cheaper bit the Strom fits me a bit better (I am tall).

Thanks guys-

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Ninja 500 was my first motorcycle. I liked it, and even rode it from St. Louis to Los Angeles one time. But the vibration in the handlebars really did a job on my hands, and the cross-wind effect in the high desert was the scariest thing I've ever experienced.

Congrats on the purchase. Not that it matters now, but did you consider the Kawasaki Versys? From what I've read about it, it's a comfortable and nice-handling all-rounder. It's based on the Ninja 650, but is better sorted out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That is the way...

None of the dealers around here permit test rides on new bikes. I cant believe that but thats the way it is.

I can sit on them but not leave the showroom...so I am left with asking people around my size which bike they liked and why....
Well, because of that situation I have made two wrong purchases and might be in my way to a 3rd purchase in the look for the perffect bike, and guess what there is no perffect bike, it is all a matter of getting used to what you have.

In your case, I will look at these bikes:

From my first impressions the Kw Versys seems to be more comfy then the Vstorm, so I consider a versys since you already own a Kaw.

If switching to the suzuki, take a quick look at a brand new bike that just came out, the GSX650. It is the replacement of the Katana, a new face lift, new engine design and from my first impressions, a very comfy ride with good ergonomics but not at the sacrifice of looks, this is a nice looking bike that seems to be the perffect commuter. Liquid cool, I4 and FI just like you want it.

You can always go for the Street fighter SV650 but I can tell you that those offer a unique different feel, but they are not the most comfy and you could regret it.

I actually sat on a Bandit and did not find it very comfy, there was something about it that just didn't click. On the other hand the GSX650 did click ride away...

But I agree, it is getting difficult, too many choices and but the only way to know for sure is to ride a bike for at least 20 miles...

I went to a Buell Open house and rode everysingle bike model they had on the event for about a 20min ride on each bike. I was amazed at how liked the look of the bike and how it felt stand still, but after being on the bike for 20mi, I was amazed how much I hated.... To my surprise I ended up enjoying the most, the one I liked the least, the Buell Ulysses.

I am starting to gravitate towards dual sports or at least the kind of bikes like the Vstorm, Versys, Ulysses, etc.... Some how the level of comfort on those bikes are far superior. The only issue for me with those bikes is that they tend to be really tall horses and I am only 5'7 so that is a concern...

One thing for sure, I will never again choose LOOKS over comfort... Never again...

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Well, because of that situation I have made two wrong purchases and might be in my way to a 3rd purchase in the look for the perffect bike, and guess what there is no perffect bike, it is all a matter of getting used to what you have.

In your case, I will look at these bikes:

From my first impressions the Kw Versys seems to be more comfy then the Vstorm, so I consider a versys since you already own a Kaw.

If switching to the suzuki, take a quick look at a brand new bike that just came out, the GSX650. It is the replacement of the Katana, a new face lift, new engine design and from my first impressions, a very comfy ride with good ergonomics but not at the sacrifice of looks, this is a nice looking bike that seems to be the perffect commuter. Liquid cool, I4 and FI just like you want it.

You can always go for the Street fighter SV650 but I can tell you that those offer a unique different feel, but they are not the most comfy and you could regret it.

I actually sat on a Bandit and did not find it very comfy, there was something about it that just didn't click. On the other hand the GSX650 did click ride away...

But I agree, it is getting difficult, too many choices and but the only way to know for sure is to ride a bike for at least 20 miles...

I went to a Buell Open house and rode everysingle bike model they had on the event for about a 20min ride on each bike. I was amazed at how liked the look of the bike and how it felt stand still, but after being on the bike for 20mi, I was amazed how much I hated.... To my surprise I ended up enjoying the most, the one I liked the least, the Buell Ulysses.

I am starting to gravitate towards dual sports or at least the kind of bikes like the Vstorm, Versys, Ulysses, etc.... Some how the level of comfort on those bikes are far superior. The only issue for me with those bikes is that they tend to be really tall horses and I am only 5'7 so that is a concern...

One thing for sure, I will never again choose LOOKS over comfort... Never again...
Old thread,,,,,,,,,,, if you look back to post 29, you will see that he already bought a V Strom about 6 months ago. For future reference, it helps if read through all the posts before you waist your time answering.:mrgreen:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts