Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, Ive been riding scooters for about 5 yrs and am looking for something bigger. Looking for more of a cruiser style bike, not sporty and not a big café racer or bobber fan. I love the look and feel of Shadows, but will likely be buying from city auction and wont be able to sit on it first. The plan is if Im not comfortable with the bike to flip it and try again. Not set on shadows bc I want a good beginner bike, once Im more confidant I can always upgrade. Im on the smaller side, 5’7 125 lbs, and looking for more opinions from riders. Anyone had a shadow as their first bike? Thoughts? Feel free to throw around year for reference, but generally are they top heavy? Lightweight or not so much? I want a low center of gravity and enough weight that I don’t get blown around the highway but not so much that I cant get her up if (when) I drop it. Also looking at Yamaha Bolts and Indian Scouts, have eliminated Harley Sportster (for now..) Thanks in advice!

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts
I love the look and feel of Shadows, but will likely be buying from city auction and wont be able to sit on it first. The plan is if Im not comfortable with the bike to flip it and try again.
That could turn out to be a big mistake. Costly and time consuming. But that is your choice.

I think a Shadow is a good first bike for most people but it is a bit under powered and I personally don't care for the handling.

My all time favorite ride is the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom.
Suzuki M50 is popular too.
Yamaha has a good 950.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That could turn out to be a big mistake. Costly and time consuming. But that is your choice.

I think a Shadow is a good first bike for most people but it is a bit under powered and I personally don't care for the handling.

My all time favorite ride is the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom.
Suzuki M50 is popular too.
Yamaha has a good 950.
I agree with you Shadow is good for the first bike.

·
Registered
280 Posts
were about the same size. When i was looking to upgrade i liked the shadow and kawi 900. the 900 had more forward foot controls which i thought would be drafty. i sat on a yamaha 1100 and it fit perfect. the shadow is the lightest, not by much but it would be a good choice. Underpowered of the three, i've had my 1100 for 8 years and no reason to upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
12,907 Posts
the 900 had more forward foot controls which i thought would be drafty.
I don't remember that last time that I was concerned with a bike being "drafty" !! :ROFLMAO:

The pegs on the Custom were a bit too far forward for my short legs.......so I put a set of floorboards on it from a "standard" 900 and it was perfect.

·
Registered
280 Posts
oh like a naked bike being windy lol. i dont like the cold and i presumed the wind would run up my pantleg. i liked the 900 sharp looking bike but for me to stretched out.i went to all the local shops and sat on all midsized bikes, when i found the yamaha 1100 it was all about fit and power. i bought it the next day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts