Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I dropped my bike on its left at very low speed while taking a sharp turn on a goat trail. I already replaced the scratched parts. So the looks are fine.

However, I've been feeling like something was not right with the way the bike handles since the drop. It's not obvious like a pull. I may be imagining it just because I know it was dropped.

So, I'm trying to confirm whether the handlebar and/or anything else is bent at the front end.

I tried to measure the distance between the tip of the handlebar and the bottom screw that secures the instrument panel to the tank.

I turned the handlebar all the way to the left and measured the distance between the screw and the left end of the handlebar. Then, I did the same with the right hand side.

It seems like the left end of the handlebar is about 5/8" closer to the tank than the right hand side.

Can you guys think of any other measurement I can make before concluding that the handlebar is bent?

Also, do you think there is a way to check the rest of the parts like the forks, triple tree etc. for bent?

I just try to make sure I pinpoint the problem before I spent $$$ on parts.

I like the M50 bars and do not plan to change it to C50 bars etc. Do you know if anybody makes similar aftermarket handlebars?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Can you set the bike into a Condor or similar type of wheel chock?
This can let you measure things without having it on the side stand.
The handlebars can be straight and the bike is hands free safe.
Then go to measuring.
So what's the bike doing while riding? do you feel unsafe with it?
Can you ride in figure 8's in a controlled setting in a parking lot?
You should check the front wheel too.
Straight edges and a good tape measure and you could check it out with it in a condor or similar wheel chock.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a similiar thing happen to my dirt bike and all i did was loosen off the bolts for the forks(top & bottom ones)ks have moved you will hear some load creaking noises as they realign themselves.If the drop was at slow speed it is unlikely that the forks are bend it takes alot of force to bend the forks on any bike,however like i stated they may have just twistewd slightly in the triples.Just my $.02

·
Registered
926 Posts
Your forks are likely not bent. It it common to have the triple trees twisted; i.e. the top tree doesn't line up with the bottom tree.
:plus1:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the input guys.

CooleyM50,
The thing is I don't feel anything obvious. I may not have been even concerned if I didn't know the bike was dropped. I've been riding it on the highway at 70+ mph straight to see any pull etc. However, there was strong wind each time so it's hard to tell. Figure 8's is a good idea. I'll try and see if it'll make the issue more pronounced.

donny662, canadiancrawler and Pheonix,

i'll try to find info in the manual about how to loosen the triple tree and/or fork bolts. Is it hard to do? How hard is it from 1 to 10. 10 being extremely hard.

Thanks,

·
Registered
926 Posts
As long as you have a motorcycle jack or some other way to take the bike's weight off the front wheel (a floor or trolley jack and 2x4 will work...don't raise the bike...just take the weight off of it...) it's about a three on the scale from 1-10. I can't remember exactly what size Allen wrenches you need, but I think they're 6mm & 8mm bolts on the triple tree clamps. The top tree moves independantly from the bottom so once you have the clamps loose just use a straightedge (or line-of-sight if you're good) and make sure they're lined up.

Thinking about it, it may be easier with the headlight housing removed from the bike. I removed it and was able to look over the front of the bike to make sure the two leading edges of the triple tree were parallel.

Do your figure-8's, replace the bars if necessary, and then if you still don't feel good about it check the trees for alignment. If it still doesn't feel *just* right, get a second opinion by taking it to a bike shop and getting them to give it a go, or an inspection at least, for peace of mind.

I remember when I did this I used the Allen wrenches I mentioned, a rubber mallet, my m/c jack, and line-of-sight. I might be leaving something out that I don't remember, but it's a start.

Good luck.

·
Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
1,477 Posts
If your forks were bent... Obvious signs would be: sticking travel and a fork seal leak. Somewhat unlikely.

If your triple trees had become twisted as mentioned above loosening them will let them settle back into place. [+1] for the description.

The tank isn't a great place to measure from as the tank mounts could potentially be bent. It would give you a fair place to start but measuring from a hard point would be better. Bar ends to steering stem center or the bolt that holds the tank (under the seat) would be a good spot. This would require pulling the tank but is much less likely to have shifted if you had a minor spill. Just my WAG.

Bent bars and the body positioning it causes can make your bike feel more out of alignment than it realy is.

NMc

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,
Ive purchased a 1985 XL600R road legal trials bike.
My issue is that the bike will steer perfectly on left hand corners but dosent like right hand corners. It feel slightly jerky and unsmooth ride.
Has anyone encountered simular issues.
Alfieboy.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
You would probably get more answers posting a new thread rather than tagging onto the end of one that is 12 years old. In regards to your question I would check the steering head bearings, wheel bearings and fork alignment. Also you may have a squared off tyre on the front and or a misaligned rear wheel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts