Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new battery for my '06 Boulevard C50. I saw a Westco for about $80 with a 1yr warrenty. Any ideas on price and longevity? I want a good battery for the best price as anyone would in these economic times. I'm unemployed. Thanks
Stanley

·
I took the All Bran Challenge
7,753 Posts
Check Gman Industries. Gary out of Washington is fellow rider a member of VolusiaRiders.com and of
Suzuki Owners Club of North America.

He developed lots of products for the C50, C90 and C109. I use his shift bushing on my 05C50SE.

And he enjoys helping fellow riders out with advise.

·
Super Moderator
12,350 Posts
I want a good battery for the best price as anyone would in these economic times. I'm unemployed.
I usually recommend AGM type batteries because under "normal" conditions they seem to last twice as long or more than a conventional wet-cell model.

They do cost about twice as much though, and if you figure the total cost over something like 10 years, the actual price advantage of the AGM is very little.....if you change them yourself.

In your present situation, I'd recommend a conventional battery from a "name brand" company, from a discount dealer. Should be able to get one for about $40, I think. If it lasts 3 years, which should be no problem if cared for properly, you will hopefully be in a better financial position by then.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Yeah, go to G-Man Industries.com and order you a G-Bat. it is an Odyssey dry cell battery modified (with Odyssey's permission so ti does not void the warranty) to slip right into your bike. They area a bit pricy at $120, but that is way cheaper than most places for an Odyssey, and the battery will probably last longer than your bike. We even used an Intruder 800 that had a G-bat in it to jump start Tammy's Ford F-150. I have them in two of my bikes, and will put them in the other three when the OEM batteries go out.

I have had acceptable service from a J&P Cycles wet cell el-cheapo battery for $30, but you will need to check the water and if you do not keep it on a trickle charger all the time it will not last long. The more often you ride your bike the longer a cheap battery will last- in a bike riden every day I got 3 years out of a $30 battery, but in a bike that sits in the winter it only lasted one season and was worthless in the spring.

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
thanks dr. bob, there's a lot of truth in that.

Gel cell batteries, although expensive (about 2 to 3 times the price of a regular battery) tend to allow for being put away after driven hard and need only occassional charging over winter.

Looking to put a fancy gel cell battery in a truck I don't drive much.

If you want to use a regular battery, you need to keep an eye on water levels in each of the 6 cells check the "water level" about every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
I use the phrase "gel cell" and agm sometimes interchangeably.

Meant to buy (will buy) a(n) agm battery for the truck - run about $150.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.....a conventional battery from a "name brand" company might be what'll do me right now. Any names to give me a start?
Stanley

·
Super Moderator
12,350 Posts
Thanks guys.....a conventional battery from a "name brand" company might be what'll do me right now. Any names to give me a start?
Any local store that has a good warranty; even Walmart maybe.
Autozone, NAPA, Batteries Plus, etc. too.
Yuasa batteries are usually good.

Be sure it's fully charged before installation.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After replacing the battery, should I ride the old gas out before filling up? Or should I top off the tank since that gas has been sitting for awhile? I'm trying to bring the bike back to life the best way.
Stanley

·
Super Moderator
12,350 Posts
should I ride the old gas out before filling up? Or should I top off the tank since that gas has been sitting for awhile?
Depends......on how long " a while" and how it is running.

Either way, it would probably be a good idea to give it a shot of carb cleaner along with filling up the tank.

If it's been YEARS, then the old gas should be drained out first.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awhile we're talking about 14mos. And it's a shaft drive.....I plan on draining and replacing the gear oil when I replace the oil and oil filter. I have been using Castrol Hypoy C Gear Oil (SAE80W-90). But again, I'm worried about the gas sitting about 14mos....any ideas?
Stanley

·
Super Moderator
12,350 Posts
But again, I'm worried about the gas sitting about 14mos....any ideas?
Don't get all OCD on us. :shock:

Since you are concerned, drain the old stuff out first, as much as possible and then put in fresh gas with a shot of carb cleaner (yes, that works with FI too). If it runs good, then don't obsess. :bluethum:

If it is carb'ed, drain the bowls along with the tank and then again after the first ride. If it's FI, then it's just the tank.

[edit] Most modern bikes with FI or a vacume operated petcock don't get REALLY gummed up like the older ones would if you let them sit for months without shutting the fuel off because.........it gets really bad only when gas continues to run into the carbs where it evaporates slowly and leaves residue behind.

With the gas shut off, only the amount initially in the bowl evaporates, leaving very little. FI systems are effectively sealed.......so evaporation in the fuel lines does not occur over short periods (months).
AND gas won't be great after 14 months but it won't be really bad either.
SO just get that old gas out and you should be fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey I really do appreciate the good advice....don't want to get OCD (whatever that means) on ya. Will try it your way, and thanks again.
Stanley

·
Super Moderator
12,350 Posts
Hey I really do appreciate the good advice....don't want to get OCD (whatever that means) on ya.
It's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder; was meant as a joke. ;)

It seems that many riders obsess over something regarding their bike.

If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it !!

BUT......based on recent history, a shot of carb cleaner 2 or 3 times a year should be added to your list of routine maintenance items, IMHO.

·
Registered
396 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts