Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think there's no better feeling than being on a bike.
I ride a Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R.Been riding since 2015 and went 8k miles.
Now it's time to replace kawasaki zx10r tires.The cheapest tires I found locally is $300 for a front tire and $450 for a rear tire.
I can't pay a motorcycle tire set is over $300.
What’s a good site to buy motorcycle tires?
I see Hexautoparts.com have tires what I need plus at good price,free shipping to my door.
Are they safe ?
Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Super Moderator
12,554 Posts
I ride a Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R.

The cheapest tires I found locally is $300 for a front tire and $450 for a rear tire.
I can't pay a motorcycle tire set is over $300.
Well.....you have a bike that is capable of going how fast......140 MPH maybe ??
You need tires that will survive that kind of speed.
They are expensive.

Cheaper ones not made for that bike might turn out to be dangerous, especially if you are a "spirited" rider.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Tires have max speed ratings. S=112 mph, H=130 mph, V=149 mph. They also have load rating markings, which are useful if you carry a passenger or cargo. Pay attention to these as they will limit how fast you can truly go and how much weight they can handle. A high speed blowout can be extremely dangerous.

Through the years I've used Motorcycle Superstore (now owned by JP Cycle), Ron Ayers, JP Cycle, and E-Tires Unlimited (all a search engine's breath away). They are all good, IMO.

Just word of warning, unless you are a dirt poor college student or eeking out a living in this poor economy, it is best to stay away from the cheapest tires. Yes, they will meet DOT and new rubber is better than worn out rubber and they'll keep you compliant with the law, but their handling or longevity is not up to par with brand name tires.

Some years back I bought Kenda Sport Challengers for my 1987 Suzuki LS650 Savage. They were the cheapest available. The front tire although stated OEM size, was a larger diameter than the original Bridgestone, rubbed the front fender. I took a file to the fender mount holes and moved it up a touch to stop rubbing. The tires handled okay in the dry and had reasonable life due to the hard rubber.

But, they had little traction when wet on asphalt. They were even spookier on limestone paved roads, I could scratch in third gear on that wide ratio 4 speed Savage during a good rain. When going at speeds above 65 mph, with the front tire rubbed the fender, I replaced the front tire in short order with a Pirelli MT66 Route tire, which fit well and was an excellent rain tire for this Savage and my 2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 XII. When I wore out the back Kenda, replaced it with a Pirelli MT66 Route.

So, for your particular bike, I'd search the net and forums including this one on people's tire comments for your bike. You should be able to get an overall impression of what tires perform best for the money and what ones to steer clear from. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts