Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought a Sportster, 06 orange XL1200R with 12k miles on it. It has Harley performance mufflers with no baffles, way too loud for me, part of the deal was the seller was to put stock mufflers and a chrome belt guard on it, that will be done next week by the independent shop where I bought it. Got rid of my Suzuki GSX650, not sure I done the correct thing as I have never owned a Harley before but Oh well.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I love the 1200R,should be a lot of fun.
If I was ever to buy another Sporty (I've owned 3) it would be the 1200R for sure.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Most recent model Harleys are fine machines......if you like them.
You might catch some crap just on general principles though. :mrgreen:
:lol4:
You'll have to catch him first, the 1200R moves pretty damn good even in stock form.
Add a few mods and hang on!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
So codg,is she all stock except the hogged out muffs?
I wouldn't put stock muffs on it, they really rob power, the SE slip ons sound nice but not overbearing with the baffles in.
Slip in a set of mild performance cams in place of the stock broomsticks with decent muffs and she'll really come alive.(rejetting the carb too as needed)
The sky's the limit with doing mods of course, I've seen 1200's putting out 145hp naturally aspirated and without NOS .

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, stock except for the mufflers, the muffler mod the PO owner done has hurt the low end power, I am hoping to get that back with the stock pipes, remember I gave up 20HP when I traded my Suzuki GSX. I still have my Nighthawk 750 Honda as well. I might make some mods later but for now reliability and a quiet ride are more important to me.

I just got ungrounded last week after cataract surgery, I thought that only happened to old guys, oh wait, I am one. I guess I just needed a change.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Yes, stock except for the mufflers, the muffler mod the PO owner done has hurt the low end power, I am hoping to get that back with the stock pipes, remember I gave up 20HP when I traded my Suzuki GSX. I still have my Nighthawk 750 Honda as well. I might make some mods later but for now reliability and a quiet ride are more important to me.

I just got ungrounded last week after cataract surgery, I thought that only happened to old guys, oh wait, I am one. I guess I just needed a change.
Yeah gutted pipes suck for low end but the stock muffs suck too, way too restrictive.
It'll be quiet though lol.
If you want quiet and power the best bet is a Supertrap two into one set up but they sure are ugly.
Vance & Hines makes some nice slip ons that sound good and aren't to harsh but make good power.
I put a set (straight shots) on the 883 I had and they sounded great.
Also if the PO of your bike didn't do a free flow air cleaner upgrade and a rejet with the pipes that also hurt the low end a lot,these engines need to breathe.

Mine were like these.
Look like straight pipes but they're not.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
So hey codge, how ya like'n the Sporty?
I've always had a soft spot for Sportsters for some reason, they are definitely different from about anything else including the rest of the H-D family of bikes.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So hey codge, how ya like'n the Sporty?
I've always had a soft spot for Sportsters for some reason, they are definitely different from about anything else including the rest of the H-D family of bikes.
So for not so well, I have not received the promised mufflers but they are due here today, I have ridden it about 100 miles in the past two weeks. The independent shop where I bought it ordered stock mufflers and they got lost in shipping, they were take offs with just a few miles on them. In the mean time I have changed the motor and transmission oil, flushed the brake system and polished all metal parts. I have installed the chrome belt guard, bought and installed a Stash Box from Twisted Throttle and a front fender extension from Dennis Kirk.

It looks good now, just too loud for me to ride comfortable, hopefully that will change by this evening. Over the years loud bikes and gunfire has taken a toll on my hearing, I intend to protect the hearing I have left. My Honda has gotten quite a work out while waiting.

The forecast is calling for the potential for a few flakes of snow today, if that happens it will be the first time for snow in Arkansas in May, ever. Where is Al Gore and his global warming when you need him.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Where is Al Gore and his global warming when you need him.
He must have been up here in the PAC NW, we've had snow here in May but most often just lots of rain.
But this.....this is just not normal!.............but I like it lol.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spent the late summer and fall in Bremerton , 1969. I was released from active duty in the Navy there, Oct 31,1969. I don't remember a day over the mid 70's there.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
You'll have to catch him first, the 1200R moves pretty damn good even in stock form.
Add a few mods and hang on!

Would just have to wait for the next curve. :lol4:

I'd be more worried about not catching a 1200XR. ;)

Hope you did start enjoying your ride soon though, Codger.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Would just have to wait for the next curve. :lol4:

I'd be more worried about not catching a 1200XR. ;)

Hope you did start enjoying your ride soon though, Codger.
A nod to the XR but the R would surprise you, they corner pretty damn well for a sporting standard.
Especially with a shock upgrade, as with most bikes these days the stockers leave something to be desired.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the stock mufflers as agreed to in my recent Sportster purchase, I installed them and the sound level is much more pleasing and the bike seems to run better.

I have a question though, the independent shop owner where I made the purchase bought replacement mufflers off an Ebay site. When I got them they looked new however one has a cat in it and one did not. When I questioned the shop owner about the mufflers he said the mufflers came from California and having one muffler with a cat was normal. He seemed irritated that I would question him about the mufflers, after all he is an expert. From the folks who are familiar with California regulations does this seem reasonable?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Yeah the Cali emmisions are stricter than the rest of the country,they had cats on bikes way before the rest of us.
I think there is a small crossover pipe to connect the front and rear exhausts and the cat goes on the back if memory serves.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the quick reply Y2K, I just thought it strange that only one muffler out of two would have a cat. True there is a crossover pipe but a lot of exhaust still flows out of the non cat muffler.

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
From the folks who are familiar with California regulations does this seem reasonable?
Govt. regulations......or how companies elect to conform to them......don't have to be "reasonable".

I think it is strange to the point of being stupid but it probably saves a few bucks in production.

And good for you putting stock mufflers back on it.....and noticing that it actually runs better the way the factory originally put it together !!! :bluethum:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I pretty much have the major changes done to the Sportster now. I put stock mufflers minus the cat, not required in Arkansas on this model. I also raised the needle in the carb by 10 thousands, that cured the stumbling and popping thru the carb., pretty much everyone has a problem with this model it is so lean from the factory. I thought it might hurt my gas milage but it actually increased milage by 1-2 MPG. All fluids changed and I balanced the tires.

100_2332.jpg

100_2331.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts