Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Not sure how long your arms are but with those bars I found myself leaning forward to reach them with the last Sporty I had.
I got on eBay and found a cheap set of 4" risers with a 2" pullback that help with the comfort level a great deal, easy to install and I didn't need to change any cables or anything if I remember right. :cool:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So far the bars seem fine for me however I haven't taken a long trip, a bit over a hundred miles one day last week is the longest trip. The only negative I have found so far is the size of the tank, it is 3.3 gallons. I like to be able to ride 175 miles or so but I suspect I wouldn't be able to do a lot of miles on it anyway.

The polished engine pieces look nice on your bike, I didn't care for the black engine but wasn't a deal breaker. I am still getting use to the Harley way of doing things for example that side stand is a real pain for me.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
The only negative I have found so far is the size of the tank, it is 3.3 gallons. I like to be able to ride 175 miles or so but I suspect I wouldn't be able to do a lot of miles on it anyway.
Better than the old 2.2 they used to have but yeah they are small, never was a bike meant for long distance riding.

I am still getting use to the Harley way of doing things for example that side stand is a real pain for me.
You'll get used to it after a while and it'll be second nature to flip it down, the Sporty stand is better than the one my FXRS had, it was the only thing I hated about that bike.
That one would flip down and often flip back up without me noticing it, very aggravating when you go to lean it over an the stand's not there lol.

880 Posts
So far the bars seem fine for me however I haven't taken a long trip, a bit over a hundred miles one day last week is the longest trip. The only negative I have found so far is the size of the tank, it is 3.3 gallons. I like to be able to ride 175 miles or so but I suspect I wouldn't be able to do a lot of miles on it anyway.

The polished engine pieces look nice on your bike, I didn't care for the black engine but wasn't a deal breaker. I am still getting use to the Harley way of doing things for example that side stand is a real pain for me.
wow, 175 miles on 3.3 gallons that is astounding for a 1200. plus you get about 50 more miles per that quantity than I get on my 750.
it must be the 4 size 135 main jets vs your 1 size 100 main jet

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
wow, 175 miles on 3.3 gallons that is astounding for a 1200. plus you get about 50 more miles per that quantity than I get on my 750.
it must be the 4 size 135 main jets vs your 1 size 100 main jet
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it? And I thought you were just dumber than a box of rocks.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it? And I thought you were just dumber than a box of rocks.
Lol....better get that single carb synchronized.:roll:
I've seen late model 1200 Sportsters get upwards of 50 mpg, the newer ('07-present) EFI models are getting around 55mpg highway I think.
Harleys do get exceptional fuel mileage if not tinkered with by someone who doesn't know what they're doing.
My friend's '08 Ultra Classic Electraglide (biggest most optioned Harley in the lineup) is getting a consistent 48mpg on average.
Pretty amazing for a huge 800lb bagger with a full fairing I'd say.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Man I like the way both of those Sportsters look! Are any of the new ones like that? What I thought I saw was a big fat front tire on them now. It did not appeal to me with the bigger front tire.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
21 - 31 of 31 Posts