Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Suzuki Boulevard C50T
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new here and just getting back into riding. I now have a 2007 Boulevard C50T that I picked up with just over 17,400 miles. It’s now just over 18K. It has been mentioned to me that checking the cam chain tensioners is something that should be looked into at around 25,000 miles. So I’m asking if that is a correct statement? Thanks for any feedback.

·
Super Moderator
13,232 Posts
Why would you think it is NOT a good thing to do ?
I think it is a fairly simple process and there is an adjustment.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
He may be referring to the actual chain tensioner blade....I have heard some fail at around 20 to 30 thousand miles. The entire tensioner blade needs replacing if that is the case. Dont know if its as simple as removing the head and then pulling the blade out.

·
Registered
Suzuki Boulevard C50T
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since I have alot to learn about the engine in this bike, I may not fully know just what I’m asking. I have read where guys claim that they have gone 50,60,70 thousand miles with no appreciable wear on the tensioner assemblies. That’s why I’m hoping to learn what is truly required for maintenance.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
OK most bikes these days have auto tensioners....the chain wears and a spring loaded pin moves in to push against the tensioner blade which takes up any slack in the chain. The auto part is prevented from overtensioning the the chain by a ratchet system that allows the pin to travel only just enough to remove the correct amount of slack. Over time the chain will become so worn that the tensioner is at the end of its travel.

At this stage you have three options....1: ignore it, not recommended. 2 fit a new chain....a major job on centre cam chain systems. 3 fit an aftermarket manual tensioner.

Sometimes when the auto tensioner is about to click forward the chain will become fairly noisy.

Manual tensioners usually have a bolt with a lock nut and adjustment should always be done with the engine cold. Some differ but as a general rule the lock nut is undone and the tensioner bolt turned inwards untill slight tension is felt.

Some manufacturers say back the bolt off an 1/8 to 1/4 turn others say that is the final tension. Either way you nip the lock nut up and that is the job done. This is the old Honda type of cam chain tensioner with the bolt on the centre front of the cylinders. Also this applies to inline twins/fours etc.

·
Registered
Suzuki Boulevard C50T
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the information. I’ve been out of town and a little on the busy side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts