Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok , long story...
07 Boulevard 1500. You know when you pull off the stator / gen cover , and that washer always falls off and sticks to the stator ? Remember that part.....

After replacing my stator and voltage reg,,,,bike was fixed....then the oil leak started...stator cover. I pulled it off and cleaned the crap out it, leveled the cover with a file , cleaned very well after that , and went with a nice bead of Ultra Gray this time. Put it together, let it sit 2 days...then tonight i filled with oil and hit the starter......nothing.

I noticed the plug was unplugged for the stator. Fixed that ----no start. wont turn over. Battery is new .

SO--before i put the cover back on 2 days ago , i put a dab of rtv on 1 edge of the washer that falls off i mentioned above . Is that washer on the STARTER gear ??? Im assuming it is ....and not letting the gear engage or move...??? .if you see what im getting at....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have to think the washer with rtv on it is not letting the starter idler gear not spin...?

·
Super Moderator
12,689 Posts
Don't overlook the obvious here.
When you hit the start button SOMETHING should happen if the battery is good.
Lights dim, loud noise from solenoid, etc. IF the starter is seized up and won't turn.
So check the battery voltage and it's cable connections. New batteries sometimes fail.
Also check the kill switch and the other start safeties.....like is it in Neutral ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in neutral. when i hit the button the light dims and i hear a CLAK from the starter..it just wont spin . 12.6v at batt. stator wires are connected . Its gotta be that washer . Ive tried rocking the bike back and forth in gear as well .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, pulled the cover and everything looks fine--that washer was not bound up. Im letting the sealer cure .

Before i put the cover on..i installed it with 3 bolts and hit the starter button......starter turned over !

ill find out tomorrow if it works and leaks......

heres a pic ---looks fine ? The gear and shaft are seated ...washer on and oiled

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update----------- starter is working and so far , no leaks . I think it was either that washer....or i had the case bolts way too tight and it was too much for that idler gear , not letting it spin ?? I didnt know those bolts are supposed to be 8-10 ft lbs....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts