Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im going to put up how much is involved installing the setup after I get my turbo and exhaust back from being ceramicoated... and the parts needed and what they cost at a good deal.. Of course you can do it cheaper most likely but not as reliable im sure.. The most technical part is the fabrication of the manifold and positioning the turbo.. I will start into it as soon as I can with as many of the pictures as i can.. see you all soon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tag........
I definately will be doing this.

What Turbo exactly did you use? A Saab TD02 or a T25? Mitsubishi also uses the TD02.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Heres a Starter....

Power Commander PCIII
Boost Gauge
Autometer Tach/Shift Light 5343
SAAB 9-3 9-5 TD04HL-15T Turbocharger
Tial 38mm wastegate w/ small red spring installed (5.8lbs spring)
Turbo Exhaust 3 Bolt Flange with Socket Ball collector
T2 Flange & Gasket
Tial 38mm Flanges
Flanges from Original exhaust (have the donut behind the flange machined out to 2 inch I.D.)
1 90 -4 Fitting
1 45 -4 Fitting
1 45 -8 Fitting
1 90 -8 Fitting
1 -8 Weld in Metal Fitting
1 12mm to -4 banjo Fitting
1 1/8npt to -4 Fitting
XRP -8 to -8 fitting pt# 980008 (screws into oil fill hole)
3 foot of -4 Line braided black or Stainless
3 foot of -8 Line braided
2" OD Mandrel Bends
2 1/4 OD Mandrel Bends
2 3/4 OD aluminum straight 2-3 inch long with bead roll (weld to turbo inlet for air filter)
3 inch thin wall alumminum pipe (intake)
2 inch OD straight aluminum pipe (Intake)
Flat plate of aluminum about 3/16 to 1/4 thick (intake)
1 PCV Valve From a Turbo Talon (DSM) Fitting that screws into the DSM valve cover
2 NGK DPR8EA-9 Spark Plugs (stock #4929)
K&N SN-2580 Air Filter
Vaccum Hose For boost gauge and turbo to wastegate
Delete the PAIR Valve System

DYNO Time for Custom Tune...

·
Registered
525 Posts
what kind of improvements are you looking for overall? What do you think it will bring the potential HP up to???? I'm interrested, but if it's only going to be some 5-10hp gain I think Ill pass.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Already done.. On 91 octane with only 4LBS on stock fuel system and injectors and as far as potential hp.. how far do you want to crank up the boost? I think 8lbs would hit 100hp, of course at that point the fuel system would HAVE to be modified

·
Registered
827 Posts
Video please I can't wait anymore

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
an estimate would do.. but most of us would have to pay someone to do this as well. im pretty mechanically inclined but unless there is a complete kit i could buy i wouldnt be tryin this on my own.

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
asking the very stupid question - but what was all changed that increased the redline?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'll ask Aundre why it did that on the line.. ive seen the dyno do it before but it wasnt a misfire or anything wrong with the bike.. a sensor might have been bumped im not sure... as far as the redline goes it was still pulling i had just read somewhere that 7100 was the shut down or rev limiter and as we see I went over that it prob makes 2-3 more hp had i taken it and bounced off the rev limiter .. I was trying to avoid the Rev limiter which is at 7800 on these right? (I didnt find a definite answer in the little time i had prior to the pull to know for sure) so played it safe (not that anything would have prob happened)... The power band is higher because of the boost.. the N/A engine cant breath enough on its own at that rpm as you see where I shut it down on the N/A pull the power started on the down curve (no more power) which is around what i found on the spec as far as where the engine made its max power.. turbo forces the air in... so answere = Turbo, omegajim

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
List Grew Some...
Fargo.. heres my best estimate to have it done by someone/buy parts yourself on mid range pricing (the middle of the highest prices ive seen and what i found things for)

Power Commander PCIII ($300)
Boost Gauge ($65)
Autometer Tach/Shift Light 5343 ($130)
SAAB 9-3 9-5 TD04HL-15T Turbocharger ($300-600)
Tial 38mm wastegate w/ small red spring installed (5.8lbs spring) ($220)
Turbo Exhaust 3 Bolt Flange with Socket Ball collector (Freebe) $10 Try salvage yard
T2 Flange & Gasket ($30)
Tial 38mm Flanges ($30)
Flanges from Original exhaust (have the donut behind the flange machined out to 2 inch I.D.) (Free) machinest fees vary $20 to machine donut?
1 90 -4 Fitting
1 45 -4 Fitting
1 45 -8 Fitting (all fittings and braided hose were around $140)
1 90 -8 Fitting
1 -8 Weld in Metal Fitting
1 12mm to -4 banjo Fitting
1 1/8npt to -4 Fitting
XRP -8 to -8 fitting pt# 980008 (screws into oil fill hole)
3 foot of -4 Line braided black or Stainless
3 foot of -8 Line braided
2" OD Mandrel Bends (all mandrel bends and pipe and plate, prob $75-100)
2 1/4 OD Mandrel Bends
2 3/4 OD aluminum straight 2-3 inch long with bead roll (weld to turbo inlet for air filter)
3 inch thin wall alumminum pipe (intake)
2 inch OD straight aluminum pipe (Intake)
Flat plate of aluminum about 3/16 to 1/4 thick (intake)
1 PCV Valve From Turbo Talon (DSM) Fitting that screws into the DSM valve cover ($10 or junkyard freebie)
2 NGK DPR8EA-9 Spark Plugs (stock #4929) ($4.50)
90 degree silicon coupler ($20)
2 2" T Bolt Clamps ($20)
K&N SN-2580 Air Filter ($45.00)
Vaccum Hose For boost gauge and turbo to wastegate ($.50 a foot)
Delete the PAIR Valve System (freebie job just time consuming and need small hands)

DYNO Time for Custom Tune... ($175-300)

other things to consider...

If you have someone fabricate the pipe for you thats a big chunk esp.. if its over $60 an hour
Im ceramcoating all my parts black and we have a good mom and pop shop thats doing it for less than $150 vs HPC who wanted $320.... its all going to pend on is your stuff new whos fabricating it, price of metal, and the bends you buy... The polishing of the turbo and the modifications needed to be made for an external wastegate... there are things here and there Im trying to remember

If someone really really wants to have this done and can't do it themselves call our shop if you live near Oklahoma.. we have people come from out of state all the time.. We work on Vipers, Corvettes, DSM's, Hyubusas, 240z, on and on and we specialize in forced induction.. And we are now trying to expand our involment in the bike world on both the sport and cruzer bikes... It will be done right at Abel Racing.. #405-455-3505

Now that my sales pitch is done... If your confident in the DIY then accumulate the parts buy this here and that there and soon enough you have your kit made.. the parts list I have Given you all is a huge insight into doing this.. It took me some time to figure the best route do getting this done... maybe we could sell the manifolds for you all and the exhaust set up icluding the power commander (we are a Dynojet Dealer) and with the power commander possibly the tune we set up on my bike could be emailed to you along with the purchase of the fabricating part (manifold exhaust etc) although every engine is different and would be best if we had the bike that way yours is guaranteed to have the right A/F ratio.. (Aundre probably wouldnt want to do it any other way) however if you all were to go that route there are still a few technical things that need to be done.... Let me have some feedback as to what you all think you would really want to do here... Im just kicking things around

·
Registered
642 Posts
You M50 guys are all crazy :fight1:

1 - 20 of 272 Posts