Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 M90 my first bike and this is my first post on my first forum so bear with me guys. My bike won’t stay in second gear. After a few seconds it just drops back to neutral. I can hold the shift lever up with my foot and that will keep it in second so I am guessing it’s due to the lever or linkage. Can someone give me some help.

·
Super Moderator
13,463 Posts
Welcome.
But probably can't help without being there.
The lever or linkage is not what KEEPS it in gear but it needs a clear "throw" to get it fully engaged.

The throw into 2nd is a tiny bit longer than the other forward gears so check to be sure that the mechanical linkage isn't hitting on something that prevents proper full movement.

It is also possible that something in the transmission is worn. Let's hope not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome.
But probably can't help without being there.
The lever or linkage is not what KEEPS it in gear but it needs a clear "throw" to get it fully engaged.

The throw into 2nd is a tiny bit longer than the other forward gears so check to be sure that the mechanical linkage isn't hitting on something that prevents proper full movement.

It is also possible that something in the transmission is worn. Let's hope not.
Thanks for the reply. I will look at my service manual for instruction on how to expose the linkage so I can check for full movements. Can you tell me what does keep it in gear?

·
Registered
7,057 Posts
The driven gear....in this case second... stays in position by being moved along a shaft so it meshes with the drive gear on what is known as the lay shaft that transmits the drive to the rear wheel. The gears stay meshed until the shift lever moves the driven gear out of mesh. Grooves in both the gear and shaft transmit power whilst they are aligned but once moved back to their original position these grooves are no longer aligned so the gear can freewheel so the drive is no longer present.....hope this is clearer than it sounds...

It is a good idea to start new posts as they dont show up as new posts in the heading thus many may miss them.

One final thing is your boots, if worn, may be stopping the shifter moving sufficiently....you can usually adjust the lever either by moving it on splines on the shaft or adjusting an inline linkage that works like a turn buckle lengthening or shortening the throw of the lever

·
Registered
7,057 Posts
Just re read your post and you state you can hold it in gear with your foot on the lever which suggests the return spring for the gear lever may be faulty. I found a parts diagram at BikebandiT for a 2016 M90 so I would think it will be similar if not the same as yours...will try to insert a link.

https://www.bikebandit.com/ hope that helps there seems to be a couple of return springs, one of which may be the culprit. Hopefully you can access them without stripping the entire engine down.

good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts