Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
85 MagnaV3o with 10,000 on miles on it . Sat all summer on a trickle charger drained gas etc. . Tried to start today and all I get is a buzzing sound when hitting the starter . Battery is up . Need help as it is now time to ride in Phoenix AZ.
Could it be the solenoid stuck or ? and if so why now ? Then help to fix . Please

Arley AKA Sorcerer

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
Odds are that the battery is NOT up, especially if the charger you had connected really is a cheap trickle charger. Depending on the model, they can "boil" a battery dry over time.

The other likely causes are: Loose or corroded main battery cables OR the starter shorted out OR the engine seized up.
Could be the solenoid itself too but not likely, I think.

I suggest that you remove the plugs and then try to run the starter........or put it in gear and see if a "bump" will turn it over.

The engine could be seized because of fuel leaking down into a cylinder.
If that is the case, gas might come flying out when you turn it over with the plugs out.

I wish you luck. Would be a REAL shame if the engine went bad after all that work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Odds are that the battery is NOT up, especially if the charger you had connected really is a cheap trickle charger. Depending on the model, they can "boil" a battery dry over time.

The other likely causes are: Loose or corroded main battery cables OR the starter shorted out OR the engine seized up.
Could be the solenoid itself too but not likely, I think.

I suggest that you remove the plugs and then try to run the starter........or put it in gear and see if a "bump" will turn it over.

The engine could be seized because of fuel leaking down into a cylinder.
If that is the case, gas might come flying out when you turn it over with the plugs out.

I wish you luck. Would be a REAL shame if the engine went bad after all that work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a "Battery Tender " trickle charger. I have had good outcome with them before this one I guess . Battery even with my home charger indicated it was " up" . Well it was not "up" dead as a door nail . Disconnected battery then jumped it . It fired right up . So the Tender boiled it . I should have checked for sparking by shorting the battery out like back in the old days before all these tenders came out . It's to bad " Battery Tender " went bad it was a good tool before . Are there any " Good " ones out there in your opinion ?
Thanks again, you helped me before this problem . Don't know if you have seen the beast before .
Arley
20200304_140713 (3).jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
It was a "Battery Tender " trickle charger. So the Tender boiled it .
And now you are making your second wrong assumption.

The Battery Tender is NOT a "trickle charger".
It is highly unlikely that it damaged your battery.
MUCH more likely that the battery just failed while connected.
That happens all the time when batteries get old enough or develop a defect.

You can verify the operation of the tender with a voltmeter and your new battery.
But if the lights on the front seem to be doing what you expect, it should be good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And now you are making your second wrong assumption.

The Battery Tender is NOT a "trickle charger".
It is highly unlikely that it damaged your battery.
MUCH more likely that the battery just failed while connected.
That happens all the time when batteries get old enough or develop a defect.

You can verify the operation of the tender with a voltmeter and your new battery.
But if the lights on the front seem to be doing what you expect, it should be good.
Battery Tender " not a trickle charger " was less than a year old as was the battery . So what is my next wrong assumption ? That a Battery Tender is a Regular charger ? 3 strikes and your out ? How many am I allowed Before I quit ?

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
Battery Tender " not a trickle charger " was less than a year old as was the battery . So what is my next wrong assumption ? That a Battery Tender is a Regular charger ? 3 strikes and your out ? How many am I allowed Before I quit ?
Blindly ASSuming that it was the tender that went bad is not wise.
Battery Tender brand of smart battery maintainers are rock solid and fail MUCH less frequently that batteries do.......even new batteries.

You need to do some fairly simple tests on the charger with a new battery and stop guessing.

OR do whatever makes you happy and keep wasting time and money.
No skin off my nose.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blindly ASSuming that it was the tender that went bad is not wise.
Battery Tender brand of smart battery maintainers are rock solid and fail MUCH less frequently that batteries do.......even new batteries.

You need to do some fairly simple tests on the charger with a new battery and stop guessing.

OR do whatever makes you happy and keep wasting time and money.
No skin off my nose.
Got attitude ? All I asked for was advice and or help . Your nose seems to get skinned easily . I'm out of her . Should I need help or advice in the future Please don't reply . Are you not a moderator here ? Good job .

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
The truth is the truth, dude.
Take it or leave it but don't complain when you get good advice.
Me being a moderator has nothing to do with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts