Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what RPMs at 40, 50, and 60 MPH a C50 has at those speeds. It seems that that my new tach is indicating low RPMs, but then I read that the C50 engine is a low reving engine. Thanks.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Sgt Mike said:
Can someone tell me what RPMs at 40, 50, and 60 MPH a C50 has at those speeds. It seems that that my new tach is indicating low RPMs, but then I read that the C50 engine is a low reving engine. Thanks.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.
What type of tach and did you install a double fire ignition adapter to the tach ?

At 60 in fifth you should be turning close to 4 K.

·
Banned
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Dan.
I have a DRAG SPECIALTIES MINI ELECTRONIC TACHOMETER - BLACK FACE #PUDS244133.
Do I need a double fire adaptor? Some say I need it and some say I don't. At 60 MPH in fith gear I'm not turning close to 4K. So it looks like an adaptor is most likely required. You recommended that on another thread, I should've listened.

Danr said:
What type of tach and did you install a double fire ignition adapter to the tach ?

At 60 in fifth you should be turning close to 4 K.

·
Banned
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to tell me Carlos. Can you elaborate? I mounted the tach but had my dealer wire it, my son got me a gift certificate to get it wired. The front and rear cylinders are not firing at the same time are they? What would running a ground to both coils accomplish?

4dtvman said:
Most of what I read adapters are for single fire bikes that need a one. Didn't you runa ground to both coils.

·
Banned
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have a look over here & add these to the boxes>>

Primary Reduction Ratio - 1.690

1st Gear - 2.461

2nd Gear - 1.631

3rd Gear - 1.227

4th Gear - 1.000

5th Gear - 0.814

Final Drive Reduction - 3.503

Tire Diameter - 26.0

Engine Redline - 7800

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thanks for the chart.

Well Sgt Mike at 60 mph your tach should read 3738 RPM's are you any were close. I enclosed that chart with you bikes input from our friend gave us by Hipster Doofus

·
Banned
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Hipster, this is great.

Hipster Doofus said:
Have a look over here & add these to the boxes>>

Primary Reduction Ratio - 1.690

1st Gear - 2.461

2nd Gear - 1.631

3rd Gear - 1.227

4th Gear - 1.000

5th Gear - 0.814

Final Drive Reduction - 3.503

Tire Diameter - 26.0

Engine Redline - 7800

·
Banned
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for filling out the boxes Carlos. I'll have to check the RPMs, propably tomorrow, I'll keep you posted.

4dtvman said:
Thanks for the chart.

Well Sgt Mike at 60 mph your tach should read 3738 RPM's are you any were close. I enclosed that chart with your bike's input from our friend gave us by Hipster Doofus

·
Banned
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The C50 is not a double fire ignition, it's a single fire, that's what my dealer's service manager tells me, and I do trust him.

Taken from an ignition web site...

Dual fire ignition systems fire both spark plugs from a single coil at the
same time. The majority of the spark energy goes to the cylinder under
compression while a small portion goes to the cylinder on the exhaust stroke
causing a small wasted spark. Single fire ignitions separate the firing
pulses, only firing the cylinder under compression. The main advantage of
dual fire systems is simplicity and low cost. The advantage of single fire
systems are smoother engine operation and the elimination of the popping
that sometimes occurs when long duration camshafts are used. There is no
horsepower advantage with single fire ignition systems.

4dtvman said:
You see I'm ordering one for my bike and I've done alot of reading and the more I read the worst it gets. But all that I've read is that suzuki's are double fired.What does the tach say when it at idle, should be around 1000 RPM's.

Read number 4 on these thread.

http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/forum/cruisers/17310-c90-tacho.html?highlight=single+fire

·
Banned
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, here we go. The Suzuki C50 has a single fire ignition. Drag Specialties the manufacturer of my tach states "Note: Electronic tach may require a tach adapter with some single fire ignition". Since my tach reads half of what it should a tach adapter is required to make it read correctly, without it the tach only reads the pulse from one cylinder.

4dtvman said:
Now that we are totally confused, we have not solved your problem

1 - 20 of 39 Posts