Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dont Know About The C50,but I Own A C90 And Ive Installed A Tach And These Are My Rpms At Various Mph,55mph-2000rpm,65mph-2500rpm,and At 85mph-3100rpm,hopes This Helps You Out.

·
Banned
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I have a DRAG SPECIALTIES MINI ELECTRONIC TACHOMETER - BLACK FACE #PUDS244133. I installed it on the handle bars and had the dealer wire it. Took the the bike to the dealer at 5PM today to have the tach adaptor installed. Service manager said that there would be no charge since they should have known that it required an adaptor. I'll let you know how it turns out. As I stated in a previous post the C50 has a single fire ignition system.
PS: The reason I had the dealer wire it is that if something goes wrong with the wiring in that area they are responsible and liable.

4dtvman said:
did you install it your self and was a single or double fire and did you use an adapter and what kind of tack. Gee that was alot of questions.

·
Banned
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
It does Mike but that sounds like the RPMs on my tach at the present which is way to low for the 805cc engine, it sounds like it to low for yours also, it seems that engine should turn more RPMs than what you stated. Do you have the tach wire to only one coil?

EMC90MAN said:
Dont Know About The C50,but I Own A C90 And Ive Installed A Tach And These Are My Rpms At Various Mph,55mph-2000rpm,65mph-2500rpm,and At 85mph-3100rpm,hopes This Helps You Out.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The RPM's I have calculated for my M50 are:

gear 2000 rpm 4000 rpm 6000 rpm 8000 rpm

1 17kmh 34kmh 50kmh 67kmh
2 25kmh 51kmh 76kmh 101kmh
3 34kmh 67kmh 101kmh 134kmh
4 41kmh 82kmh 124kmh 165kmh
5 51kmh 102kmh 152kmh 203kmh

Note that the M50 apparently has different gearing from the C50, and a 8500rpm limiter (?)

But close to these, and you should be in the ballpark. I don't have a tach fitted, but wanted to see what the gear range was. I haven't hit the limiter yet, and it looks about right on the road.

·
Banned
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I converted your KMH to MPH and the RPMs that you get are very close to what my C50 RPMs are. The C50 does not have a rev limiter and I thought that the M50 didn't either, but I may be wrong.

peter-reebok said:
The RPM's I have calculated for my M50 are:

gear 2000 rpm 4000 rpm 6000 rpm 8000 rpm

1 17kmh 34kmh 50kmh 67kmh
2 25kmh 51kmh 76kmh 101kmh
3 34kmh 67kmh 101kmh 134kmh
4 41kmh 82kmh 124kmh 165kmh
5 51kmh 102kmh 152kmh 203kmh

Note that the M50 apparently has different gearing from the C50, and a 8500rpm limiter (?)

But close to these, and you should be in the ballpark. I don't have a tach fitted, but wanted to see what the gear range was. I haven't hit the limiter yet, and it looks about right on the road.

·
Banned
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Picked up my bike from the dealer at 5PM today. Idles at 1000 RPMs and needle is rock steady. Rode it home, at 60 MPH it reads 3825 RPMs. It's a great looking installation, I'm very satisfied with the Cobra tach. I'll post a photo very soon.

4dtvman said:
Sgt Mike I installed my today and it took more time to take things apart then to hook it up. I didn't ride but idle seems to be around 1000 rpm. Neddle bounce a little at Idle, I grounded to the same screw that holds the coil to the frame. Here is a picture.
Image of TOM TOM and RPM - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Banned
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
You're welcome Carlos. The RPMs that you mention for your bike are correct. Let us know how it performs and thank you for your help.

4dtvman said:
I've read in other places that my 1500 will tach 2300 rpm's at 50 in 5th gear won't know for a while just got snow yesterday. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
851 Posts
EMC90MAN said:

Well today was the first day I could ride after this cold spell and I tell you it was nice. About 45 clear skies, nice and sunny. Couldn't get any better.

I checked my tach for the first time against what you had said and I must of done something right. Because I came up with the same numbers.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sgt Mike said:
I converted your KMH to MPH and the RPMs that you get are very close to what my C50 RPMs are. The C50 does not have a rev limiter and I thought that the M50 didn't either, but I may be wrong.
Hey Sarge, who told you the C50 doesn't have a rev limiter?

I know for a fact my M50 has one, I've bounced off it a number of times.

I'm pretty sure all modern bikes have them, especially the EFI ones.

·
Banned
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Sorry that's my mistake Rick:shock: , I apologize for the wrong info:roll: .
I read that in a post here some time ago.

But checking in my Suzuki Service Manual page 8-16 it states,
"The ignition cut-off cicuit is incorporated in the ignitor to prevent over running of engine. If engine RPMs reaches 8000 r/min, this circuit cuts off the ignition primary current for all spark plugs".

It also states,
"Under no load, the engine can run over 8000 r/min, even if the ignition cut-off circuit is effective and it may cause engine damage. Do not run the engine without load over 8000r/min at anytime".

So it does have what we call a rev limiter::301: .

·
Registered
848 Posts
So, if I understand that statement right, when you hit the limit, your bike will shut off. That sounds dangerious.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Colorado Cajun said:
So, if I understand that statement right, when you hit the limit, your bike will shut off. That sounds dangerious.
The ECU retards the timing, just enough, so that the engine can't increase it's RPM's. As soon as you back off on the throttle, and the engine drops below red line, the bike runs normal again.

Now a days, it's common practice in cars/trucks/motorcycles, to put some sort of speed, or rev limiter in them. With EFI, the units computer controls everything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've installed the Suzuki tach on my C50T Boulevard twice. First a couple of years ago and once at operating temp the bike wouldn't idle and was hard to start. The tach needle was also erratic at times. I had grounded the unit to the frame. I disconnected it but left it on the handle bars (nice looking unit). I pondered it over the two years and decided the frame ground was not the ideal place to ground it so I soldered the ground lead to some wire, shrink tubed the connection and put it on the negative terminal of the battery. The bike doesn't roar to life as it did but sort rolls to life. Needle is steady and the bike runs as before the tach installation. Warmed up at idle it slows to a stall. The spark plugs are old and I'll replace them and up the idle to 1200 or so and see if that works. The battery ground made the old problem less worse but still it exists at this point. More later.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts