Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was glad to come across this forum. I bought my 2007 C50T last year and it is my first bike. I wanted a louder exhaust, did some research and saw that the baffles could be removed and it seemed everybody was pretty happy with the result.

My husband (Mark) watched the videos and did the removal without any problems, except while it sounds great, I think there is an increase in gas fumes. It's raining today so it's just ran in the garage. Mark thinks that I may have to ride it to give the computer a minute to sense the decrease in back pressure and make an adjustment on fuel mixture, or that I may have to take it in and have the computer adjusted.

Did anybody else have this problem and were you able to fix it.

Thanks for your time and I am sure I will bother you with stupid questions in the future.:)

·
Super Moderator
12,158 Posts
decrease in back pressure and make an adjustment on fuel mixture, or that I may have to take it in and have the computer adjusted.
Opening up the pipes usually results in too LITTLE fuel going through, not too much.
And I don't think that the stock fuel controller is "adjustable" manually.

Changing the flow through the pipes will make some sections hotter than before and some cooler; the different smell may not really be fuel.

Then, the debaffle involves beating and banging and drilling, etc. that may have caused something else to come loose.......most notably the pipes at the manifold, with could give some exhaust fumes to the rider.

If an inspection doesn't reveal any obvious problems, a dealer visit might be in order. If it is exhaust fumes you are smelling, riding that way might not be good for you........or the bike either.

Do you have a windshield ? Sometimes those can suck in exhaust and engine smells from behind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Easy Rider. I actually have not rode the bike since he took out the baffles. It's been raining here, so it's just been started in the garage.

I did a lot of reading on baffle removal, but didn't see where anybody had any problems.

There reallly wasn't a lot of banging and such, just some drilling.

Hoping that when the weather clears I can get her out and run down the road a bit and all will be fine.

If not will head for the shop, may have to put some custom pipes on.:mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
12,158 Posts
It's raining today so it's just ran in the garage.
Oops......didn't notice that.

Hoping that when the weather clears I can get her out and run down the road a bit and all will be fine.
Yes, I think you will be fine.
Hopefully you were just smelling "normal" exhaust........which is often somewhat different in an enclosed space.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Husband was right. Weather cleared up a bit, took her for a ride and excess exhaust was not an issue.....................and she sounds fantastic.:mrgreen:

Going to stop at the dealership and talk to the mechanic just to make sure there isn't anything I should do as a result of the exhaust modification...................can't let my husband think he is compeltely right.:)

·
Super Moderator
12,158 Posts
make sure there isn't anything I should do as a result of the exhaust modification...................can't let my husband think he is compeltely right.:)
Not that it makes any difference, mind you........but there are a lot of OTHER husbands here who agree with him !!! :mrgreen:

Honestly, if it runs and rides good.......DON'T MESS WITH IT......regardless of what some grease monkey at the dealer might tell you.
Some of the people working in bike shops are morons.

OK, well..........some husbands are morons too.............:shock:

:lol4:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Easy is right, many of the mechanics in bike and car shops are not the best at what they do and if they don't know the answer they will just tell you something to make you feel better. There are some really good mechanics out there but over the years I have learned I am better off doing repairs and maintenance myself. You save lots of money and you know the job was done right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello.. I know these posts are a few years old. I have a 2006 boulevad c50 with stock pipes. I am debating replacing those pipes with after market pipes but they are rather expensive, as i explain the reason i want "PIPES" is for sound. however, i had friends who suggested just remove the baffels. So my question is.. If i remove the baffels will there be problems that could cause serious damage to engine? would i need a power commander?

Thank you in advanced.

Robert T

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to agree with Easy. The only way I'll ever have another bike with a loud exhaust, is if I get a great deal on a used bike, and it already has them. Test rode a 2007 C50 at a Harley dealer yesterday. It had Vance & Hines pipes, a Power Commander, and a Hurricane Manufacturing i take kit on it. 12,000 miles. Some scratches on fenders and tank, and a chip o the tank, and both rear turn signal stalks had been broken and the PO applied some kind of goo to try to glue them in place. The bike ran, started, and stopped very well. The pipes are loud, but no way would I buy it and then change the exhaust again. They had the bike at about $3300. The dealer owner said, after I pointed out the 2 broken lights (they do work though), he'd go for $2900. I listened to the engine for any tell tale signs of loose cam chains, when it was hot and cold, and detected no such sounds. So, here is a bike that seems solid. Low miles for a 2007. May or may not need a valve adjustment. But has fairly loud pipes. Is the price worth it to me to buy the bike and ride it.

The other thing about loud exhaust. You can try to keep the noise down when in town a little, by riding conservatively. Most bikers don't do that. They come to a stop, rev the hell out of that bike to listen to the fruits of their money, and take off like they are in a drag race. Ever heard one of these guys ride through a tunnel?

Someone is already on the move to ban ALL motorcycles, scooters, and mopeds from Hawaii, due to the number of them running around with loud exhaust. Think I'm kidding?

https://www.change.org/p/hawaii-state-house-hawaii-state-senate-hawaii-governor-ban-all-motorcycles-from-hawaii

There it is. I prefer to keep the cagers around me in a good and happy mood, since any one of them could take me out with a slight twist of the steering wheel. I've been riding motorcycles for over 53 years now, and have no intention of giving them up. Loud pipes don't save lives....they piss people off.

My opinion, of course, will be wildly unpopular. So be it. I'm allowed an opinion too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts