Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Yamaha fz6, 2 different Honda pc800
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new here and desperately need help . I worked on a few things with my bike recently and when reinstalled the front tire what I noticed was terrible rubbing between the brake disc and caliper. When I installed the front axle I noticed that the wheel is not completely in between the two forks, it's shifted to the left if you're looking at it head on. On one side of the wheel the disc brake rotor is pretty close to the fork and when installing the caliper not only do I have to squeeze it in there but it also rubs against the metal of the caliper and certainly slows the bike down significantly when riding and don't even get one revolution when spinning the wheel freely. I even noticed the rotors were scratched even with no brake pads in I get rubbing. I tried realigning the Forks and allowing everything to settle but not much help. I'm hoping I don't have to buy a new Forks.... I have a 2004 yamaha fz6

·
Super Moderator
12,903 Posts
Many models have a spacer on one side of the axle that aligns the wheel (and rotor) where it should be.
Sounds to me like you might have the spacer in the wrong place.

The calipers will NOT retract on their own. The pads push them back.
You should NEVER try to turn the wheel with everything assembled except the pads; guaranteed rotor damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I suggest you go to bikebandit.com and look at the exploded view of your front wheel/axle. There looks to be spacers on both sides of the wheel but there is more than one model sooo, you may find it helpful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts