Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

OK I am definately a rookie at this, so here goes

I was attempting to replace the original CCT, there was a slight rattle and it was traced to the CCT, so I thought I would replace it (New CCT and Gasket - Bike model is a Varadero XLV 1000 VY (2000)

I was removing tand I dont think I retracted the CCT (Turning it clockwise and locking it) before I removed the old one and it went ping, so I think the Tensioner fully extended against the cam chain before I removed it. Put in the new one and removed the stopper tool, tightened and started it up, but a VERY nasty knocking occurred, killed the motor straight away, any suggestions, other than clearly I shoudn't have attempted this, without reading the manual at least twice??

Does this mean trailer to the mechanics to check if the cam chain is stretched beyond service limit, and Cam chain overhaul, or has the cam chain guide been dislodged by the CCT fully extending upon it?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Shaydow

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
other than clearly I shoudn't have attempted this, without reading the manual at least twice??

Does this mean trailer to the mechanics
Maybe not at all........and yes, definitely.

Let's hope that the cam chain didn't slip on the gears and cause a broken valve or damaged piston. :shock:

The prudent thing to do would have been to take the plugs out and turn the engine by hand a couple of rev's before trying to start it.

Too late now.

Good luck; you're probably goona need some.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Easy Rider for your ominous and optimisitic reply, and my lack of prudence....Certainly locked away in the noggin for future reference.

I am organising it to be looked at by Mechanic.

And should know the damage outcome in a couple of weeks, I will post the findings once known.

Shaydow

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damage is now diagnosed:

Bent Exhaust Valves, Piston bore sustained some damage, will need machining, Head Gasket, valve stem seals, etc.

Have asked them to replace clutch plates etc, whilst they have it there.

About $1200 AUD Including Labour ($600), got all parts except Head Gasket (Has to come from Japan apparently), so have to wait two weeks for Head gasket.

Hope to have it up and running in a few weeks.

Can't wait to ride again...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.