Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my bike to the dealer to get the valve clearances done. They were, and it sounds much better, however the next day (today) the front camshaft end cover blew out and drenched my leg and the entire left side of the bike in oil. I went to the dealer right away and they vehemently denied it was their doing, saying they didn't mess with it, which honestly they likely didn't since there was no reason to. I wonder if maybe they disconnected an air hose or something and put it in the wrong place. There when running there is a significant amount of air that blows out of the oil filler cap if it is removed, which normally would tell me exhaust is blowing past the piston ring, but I'm not sure.

So 3 questions: 1: Is there anything they could have done that would have built up the head pressure? 2: Is there an aftermarket end cap I can put in and use a screw or bolt setup to tighten so it stays put? I really hope so because I'd have to take off the head otherwise, which requires pulling the engine. 3: Can anybody take the oil filler cap off their bike, start it and see if it blows air?

Please help me out guys. It's been a long tiring day and I really can't afford to take it into a shop to get this done, so I am really rattled. For now I'm going to try to get some sleep because I need to get up in about 6 hours. I'll check back later. Thanks.

EDIT: Number 28 is the plug that came out

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pictures would have to wait until tomorrow. I'll pull the tank off and post some with the hose connectors then if I don't get an answer before-hand.

·
Registered
32 Posts
3: Can anybody take the oil filler cap off their bike, start it and see if it blows air?
I took the oil filler cap off my M and she does blow air when idling, tries to sputter little droplets of oil out too. Sorry I can't give advice that helps your dilemma.

·
Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
1,477 Posts
bike bandit wont load it for me at the moment.

Typically oil seals will start leaking around a half a pound and pour out by 3-4 lbs pressure. I suppose IF they had disconnected the PAIR system and hooked them up improperly they could have a problem. Screw in self tightening caps? Napa sells generic self expanding plugs but mostly for oil fill tubes on older vehicles and I don't know if you could easily find one small enough to fit. Kind of ugly too. They do sell generic fit freeze plugs that can be installed from the outside. Any chance you can find the plug?

NMc

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response. I just ordered 4 more OEM caps last night. It will be a bit of a pain to get it in, but I shouldn't have to pull the engine since I'll only need about half a centimeter clearance from the head cover. I was wondering: If they removed the coolant hose from the head and then put it back on, would the system have a problem pushing the resulting air bubble out of the top of the head? The air expansion could potentially be the problem. There is no breather hose on the front cylinder, and that was what my initial thought the problem was. I hadn't even thought of the pair valve issue but they do have hoses going to the cylinders. What is the point in them going to the cylinders? Since the pair valves had to be removed from the cylinders to access the valves, perhaps there's an air leak through the gasket or the front wasn't reconnected? Unfortunately the weather has been crap and I don't have a garage so I haven't been able to have a look at the bike itself today. The bad weather si expected to last until the weekend :(

·
Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
1,477 Posts
Seems like I usually loosen the PAIR valve hose off the back of the rear cylinder when doing valves. If your pants got soaked in oil then the coolant is unrelated. You don't need a breather on the front cylinder as all of the motor breathes together through the timing chain area, heads to pan the air inside the block is free flowing. If for some reason the PAIR system was hooked up wrong and* you had a failed reed valve I suspect it may* be possible to put exhaust pressure into the case.*** Still working this out in my mind.

Otherwise, (and more likely) I suspect if a crankcase breather line was pinched twisted or kinked that little bit of blowby will add up to enough to pop out your plug. Either way, make the dealer fix it free of charge. If you haven't been monkeying around under the tank and they were the last ones to touch it it's their fault.

Edit: If they refuse to at least diagnose free, then tell them if you have to go to another shop (preferably another Suzuki Dealer)that they will loose your business forever and that you will spread the word at your local bike night and other local events. In the wrenching industry reputation is everything.

NMc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts