Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, Currently restored a 1981 CM 400t has original 6000 miles on the bike, Just replaced all gaskets and oil seals, valve job, valve oil seals, rejetted to compensate air pods, 2into1 mac exhaust, bike fired up first crank, no choke needed.. bike was warm idled at 1000-1200 rpm loosened off tensioner nut on the cylinders for the cam chain tensioner to self adjust, however cam chain became louder I believe the tensioner bolt binded against the guide in the cylinder. I really don't want to remove the head to fix the problem. I am thinking on taking the spark plugs out, rolling over the motor backwards to put the tension on the the front guide than loosening off the tensioner nut and re torquing to solve the problem, any tips before I get into it? Appreciate any advice at this point in time

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
If it is anything like the old Honda tensioners I have seen then just undo the bolt and remove then replace it. These were a simple bolt against tensioner system the tensioner blade should have its own captive method...used to be two pins that fitted into recesses under the cylinder head.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is anything like the old Honda tensioners I have seen then just undo the bolt and remove then replace it. These were a simple bolt against tensioner system the tensioner blade should have its own captive method...used to be two pins that fitted into recesses under the cylinder head.
Appreciate the reply took the cylinder head off removed tensioner. Discovered the nut threads were stripping, chased the threads on the bolt- new nut; back together. Bike runs like a top, just sold it tonight $2200 cash. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts