Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just bought a new Motomaster battery. Just like this one. (Model 4L-B)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-powersports-battery-0271007p.html#.VRALPPnF-Sp

it's 12 volts, four amps.

I filled up the battery with the supplied acid... followed the instructions to a tee...

It said wait an hour after filling the cells with acid to start charging the battery.

I did that, and when I went to my neighbours to use his battery charger, the battery registered as having a full charge and supplying 13.3 volts... Yet this was immediately after plugging in the charger, when the instructions say it should take four hours to charge!

WHAT IS GOING ON?

·
Super Moderator
12,830 Posts
I just bought a new Motomaster battery. Just like this one. (Model 4L-B)

it's 12 volts, four amps.
I fixed your link.
My comments are: pretty small and cheap battery. What are you putting it IN ??

It's possible that it came up to near full charge but I'd leave the charger on it for the recommended time anyway.
The 13.3 reading indicates that some charging is still taking place.......whether the green light thinks so or not.

P.S. after charging and resting a few hours, the battery itself should read no more than 12.8 volts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting... I just threw it in my Yamaha Razz 50CC scooter today, and it kicked over... which didn't before on the old battery. It's been a full day since my lack of charge.

Two of my neighbours recommended draining the power from the battery... but my boss said why bother.

·
Registered
18 Posts
huh? I'm confused...

·
Super Moderator
12,830 Posts
Two of my neighbours recommended draining the power from the battery... but my boss said why bother.
What the NEW battery ??
If so, you should STOP asking those people for advice.

A conventional lead-acid battery can be damaged by discharging too deeply.

If it seems to work, don't worry about it.
It would be a good idea to check the charging voltage while the scoot is running though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lets say u have a 10 litre tank. you fill it with water. we say it is filled to capacity.
the only force it has to move is its own weight and atmospheric (air) pressure.
so now lets give it a pressure boost to say 50 p.s.i. Now it has great power to do work. Battery is same thing. If I have 50 p.s.i . in the tank but no water it will do no work.
If I have the water but no force it will do little.
Your battery may have had force (13.3) volts but it didnt have anything to push (electrons). Batteries work on a principle of imbalance to achieve work. when dead a battery is in a state of electrical balance, it is effectively neutralized. Charging re-creates the chemical imbalance in the cells to make the battery able to do electrical work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts