Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Firstly, if this is in the wrong area my apologies.

Secondly..I just got my permit and a friend of mine was giving me a basic lesson on riding. He has an 81 Kawa LTD 440. Things were going pretty well until I laid the bike on its side at around 5-7 mph.

Bike still runs but as of now the carbs are spitting fuel out of one of the hoses running off the back. I feel really ****** bad and im trying to research probable causes and fixes in hopes its nothing major.

If anyone has any ideas I can throw his way it would be GREATLY appreciated. I want to be able to at least help him fix the problem since i cause it.

Thanks in advance,
Doug

·
Super Moderator
12,795 Posts
Firstly, if this is in the wrong area my apologies.
Welcome.
First, why the attempt to import stuff from another forum ??
It makes your post look a little fishy.

The problem likely IS a stuck float or needle valve if the fuel is coming out of an overflow hose connected directly to the carbs.
Sometimes that can be "fixed" by tapping on the side of the carb firmly with something like a screwdriver handle.
If not, the floats often can be accessed by taking the bowl off the carb without removing it from the bike.

You likely triggered the problem but didn't really "cause" it.
When he gets the fuel flow stopped, the oil should be changed ........as there probably is some gas in the oil now.
It would be a nice gesture if you would offer to pay for the new oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apologize for the copy n paste from my other forum posts...at work and trying to get this in in between work related tasks.

And thank you for the info...deff paying for w/e needs to be done to the bike..tis his pride n joy. And Ill just hold off riding until my BRC course =D

Thank you.
Doug

·
Registered
866 Posts
That basic rider course is an awesome amount of info for new riders Ive been riding for several years and texas just made me take it and I was amazed at the stuff i learned .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts