Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent about 15 minutes in stop and go traffic(mostly stop) on I 30 around South West Little Rock just now. Glad I have a modular helmet so I could pull up the front and get some air since it was 95 degrees. Needless to say it severely sucked.:shock: When I finally got to the problem there was a burned up car sitting on the side of the road. i'll have to watch the news tonight to see what happened.:cool:

·
Registered
677 Posts
At least your bike is liquid cooled. That would be miserable otherwise.

I expect nothing less than a completely totaled Ferrari or something if people start rubber necking like that!

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,182 Posts
I've been in that situation a few times - 90°+ weather and an accident on the motorway. Heat you can't escape, plus the cylinders between your knees are heating up the air around you, so that you can feel the engine heat through your leathers. And, lane splitting is illegal in Switzerland and can lead to a 3-month license suspension if you're caught, so very few people risk it.

As for rubber-necking fools ... don't even get me started. Last time, there was a bad accident on the south-bound lanes, which caused a bunch of traffic on the north-bound lanes (rubber-neckers). This caused at least two additional accidents as people weren't paying attention to their driving and rear-ended a slower moving car in front of them. The highway was a freaking mess for hours...

·
Super Moderator
12,184 Posts
It is nice living and riding in Florida.......most of the time.

Most people don't really understand that much of Florida is undeveloped farm country though.

That point hit home in a big way yesterday as we were detoured off of a state highway, closed because of a BAD wreck.
(Florida doesn't seem to be able to handle ANY bad traffic incident without closing the WHOLE road for hours but that's another topic.)
Because of the undeveloped nature of rural Florida, there really aren't a lot of paved secondary roads; most of them are dirt (read that sand).

Our detour was about 6 miles of soft sand and horrendous dust.
Bad enough in a car. I really felt sorry for the few bikers we passed going the other way.

Because of this situation, I always carry a paper State map on the bike with me.
Going 20 or 30 miles out of the way would have been better than that 6 miles of dusty, sandy dangerous hell.

P.S. If you have never ridden a medium to large bike in SAND, you probably don't fully appreciate how stressful that is.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Living in Chicago and commuting to work on 90+ degree days and sitting bumper to bumper you hope to see something worth your hour of moving 20 feet. Usually it's nothing. We have busses that can use the shoulder to bypass slow or stopped traffic, but they won't let us lane split. M-MET9MCI-PACE.jpg

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the first zombie thread I've seen that I originally started. I normally stay on secondary roads Because they are fun to ride and superslabs are boring. Unlike easy's problem most of our secondary roads are paved some not very well maintaned but paved nonetheless. I live about an eighth of a mile down a gravel road so i get to ride it every time I leave the house after that I try to stay off of em.:lol4:

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Zombie thread aside you are allowed to split here in all states except Victoria which is just now reconsidering. Lane filtering is fine too but both must be done to the right of a vehicle....we drive/ride on the correct side of the road unlike you lot who don't lol! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had this happen plenty of times, kills me every time haha. Was up in the east coast this summer and it's even worse than out here in the Mid West..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lol, here in the DMV there is often no reason for the slowdowns at all.......

(DC, MARYLAND, VIRGINIA)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,184 Posts
Lol, here in the DMV there is often no reason for the slowdowns at all.......
(DC, MARYLAND, VIRGINIA)
When there is no obvious reason for a traffic "jam", then the real reason likely is drivers going too FAST, compared to the prevailing flow of traffic.

It sounds backwards but it really is true.
Whenever the "racers" catch up to the normal traffic and slam on the brakes, everybody else behind them does too.
Bingo, instant bottleneck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
being stuck in traffic sucks. ive started running around cars just for the lols. No i dont youtube. just good to lighten everything up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts