Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a Blackberry 8330 that has GPS Navigation (very similar to a Tom-Tom), and I’d like to find some way to attach it to either my handlebars or the windshield via a belt clip that I have. It’s one of those clips that you attach a piece to the belt, then there is a knob on the back of the phone. You click the knob into the belt piece, then the phone can be rotated to a variety of different angles, and you have to push a button and pull simultaneously in order to release.

I’d like it to be visible while riding so that I can use the GPS feature. I’m not very mechanically inclined so I’m not sure how to accomplish this. I’m not too concerned with the look of the thing, as long as it works. I’ve thought of trying to permanently mount the clip to the windshield by cutting a hole in the windshield the size of the clip, and clip it on there, but due to the way the windshield is slanted, I wouldn’t be able to see the face of the phone. I’m not a huge fan of the chrome store bought ones as they are kind of pricey (at least the ones I’ve seen online anyway).

I’d also like to install a 12 volt power outlet so I could use my car charger for my phone (GPS eats the battery), but I haven’t looked into the “how to” of this yet.

Any of you installed a cell phone mount to your bike? How about a 12 volt power outlet?

Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I’ve got a Blackberry 8330 that has GPS Navigation (very similar to a Tom-Tom), and I’d like to find some way to attach it to either my handlebars or the windshield via a belt clip that I have.
See if this works for you.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I carry the ram mounts check them out if there is something you are looking for and don't see let me know:

TECHNCYCLE GEAR LLC : Ram Mount

Also here is another idea I also use the GPS VZNavigator on my Blackberry Storm I do not mount it I have the Crado Scale Q2 and I just use the Voice and never look at the screen works great and I think it is safer when you are riding not to have to worry about looking down at a phone or GPS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi
Cellphone with GPS on internal breast pocket of your jacket.
Speaker line from the phone routed from pocket to under your helmet, earpiece ( on your ear ) sound on maximum.
Set your destination and follow voice commands. No need to look at the map.
Been doing that for years, never get lost, no problem at all.
Al

·
Registered
1 Posts
I prefer a handlebar mount and have used 2 pipe clamps for a quick rig up, one around the bars(with a rubberband underneath to prevent scratching and give friction), and the 2nd holding the clip and 1st clamp together.
Butt ugly but cheap and easy, haha sounds like a yo momma joke.

Have you tried turning off the cell phone part of the phone(airplane mode)? That saves a good bit of battery. There's lots of guides on adding a power connection if you still need it though, my advice on that would be to make sure whatever fuse holder you put on the new outlet uses the same type of fuse as your bike.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
I'd look into this (Amazon). I don't think I'd trust an expensive phone to a belt clip and homemade mount unless you're a pretty good engineer. The shock and vibration on a bike might just leave your pretty gadget chuckling down the road behind you. Plus, you could hard-wire it and forget the cable.

·
Super Moderator
13,463 Posts
Hi
Cellphone with GPS on internal breast pocket of your jacket.
:plus1:

Has anybody seen or tried this mount? Looks like it's just what I need!
A word of caution might be in order here. First, will the Blackberry withstand the vibration that a bike always has in the bars or shield.....and, second, what happens if you get caught in the rain ??

Seems like I heard those little beasts are expensive to replace. :shock:

If it has a headphone jack, carrying it in your jacket pocket should be easy; then you just need to get a cigarette lighter plug mounted somewhere for the power.

·
Super Moderator
13,463 Posts
The shock and vibration on a bike might just leave your pretty gadget chuckling down the road behind you. Plus, you could hard-wire it and forget the cable.

I don't think he is listening! :roll:

As for the second part, if it has a USB plug for power, you need to use (most of) the cord that came with it because it has components IN the cord or connectors that drop the 12 V down to 5.5 V. :bluethum:

·
Super Moderator
13,463 Posts
The Leepia with its wireless charging system wins me over. You can now have your phone or GPS mounted right in front of the handlebar while having it getting charged. It got both wireless and USB port charging options for the users to benefit from it.
New user.
Two posts to VERY old threads.
Both have a link to the same commercial web site.
Looks a LOT like spam to me.

The posts AND the user will be removed if an explanation isn't received soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts