Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
You need to get a sprocket stretcher.
After a little sprocket adjustment, they should line up just fine.

No need to buy any new parts until something actually breaks.
These work great but are a bit spendy. I spent years shrinking my chain back up with heat, but finally shelled out the bucks for the stretcher and wish I had done it a long time ago.

880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, so according to my calculations the chain is a 630 as the person I bought the bike from let me know it has a new chain. the sprocket on the rear says 6344 -32 and sunstar japan could this be a mixup? 530 chain conversion gone to 530 sprocket with 630 chain?

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
not familiar with this particular situation, but I have found out the hard way, do not keep the chain too taught.

for those of you in the peanut gallery, if the bike manual says "max looseness is x" keep it within 1/8 inch of x.

also, you do have the service manual for said bike? no, buy the $30 clymer manual, it will save you several times over in the course of time, not to mention how tight to keep the chain (which will cost more than the manual to replace) if you do not keep it tensioned (and cleaned & lubricated) properly.

Not to mention, I heard that every other or 3rd chain you should replace the sprockets, both the driven and drive sprockets.

But, i have been wrong before.

·
Super Moderator
12,549 Posts
Not to mention, I heard that every other or 3rd chain you should replace the sprockets, both the driven and drive sprockets.
It really depends on how LONG you let the chain go.

If you let it go until there are definite signs of wear, then at least every other chain; probably every one.

I would NEVER let the sprockets go 3 chains.......unless maybe you are really cautious and replace the chains before they need it.

880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the chain was new two years ago, I rarely ever use the brakes but downshifting has been good to me besides the chain stretch. the chain side adjuster screw dethreaded when my tire blew out so that may have caused some wear.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hey by2, don't listen to the advice by these other posters, if you have a stretched you can restore it to it's original length by soaking it overnight in liquid co2 and dry ice. Good as new by morning. Don't get any of the solution on you though.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hey by2, don't listen to the advice by these other posters, if you have a stretched you can restore it to it's original length by soaking it overnight in liquid co2 and dry ice. Good as new by morning. Don't get any of the solution on you though.
Oh, I just noticed you are the poster who has made the most comments on this thread, talking to yourself indicates you might have a problem. LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts