Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the cold weather has come, my 2002 katana gsx600f is idling to hi. I have tried to adjust the idle switch which works for short time but I am constantly adjusting it to make sure it doesn't idle to low. The choke switch does not seem to be working properly. My question is there anything in the switch that could cause this problem or should I look somewhere else on the bike? Any help would be appreciated!!!!

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Choke switch? Do you mean the lever? Is the cable broken? You should be able to see the cam moving on the carbs.

The idle "knob" should only be adjusted when the engine is fully warm and the choke is off.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Have you tried putting some cable lube on the choke cable, And only adjust the tickover when the engine is fully warmed up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2000 GSX600 choke sticking/idling problem

I seem to be having the same problem on my 2000 GSX600. I just tore apart the throttle body and cleaned all the carbon buildup from the vestibules coming from the combustion chambers, replaced the spark plugs and made sure my air filter's fine. I noticed while the throttle body was off the choke slide was not operating completely functional. It would pull back fine but would not release properly, I noticed a slight fray in the cable but it only exposed the cable's outer metal sheathing. The bike used to rev high in idle, and still does when in choke. When not in choke the rpm's vary by about 500, it will sound fine, die down a little bit, pick back up and just go back and forth, not a consistent steady idle rpm. I still have yet to put some sea foam in the gas tank but am wondering if anyone else has another idea as to what it could be? before I go and replace the choke cable?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts