Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do y'all use to clean your helmet (visor)? I was told windex was bad...

·
Registered
910 Posts
Some window cleaners are safe for visors some are not. I like using Simple Green on my whole helmet to remove bugs and scum. Works well and so what if it eventually ruins my visor. I will probably need a new helmet by then anyways.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I use a multi surface cleaner here. Generally these products say to test it first, and have been using it on my helmet and windshield for two years, and have found it works for me.

Glass cleaners are bad, I forget right now what the offending chemicals are, but they can cause damage to plastic. Also RainX is not good.

But as mentioned water and a clean lint free cloth will work fine most of the time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I checked with both my helmet manufacturer and with RainX and both said there was no problem, and I have been using it for 3 years on my visor periodically with no harm. It's applied to the outer surface only, no hazing, scratching, any deterioration at all. Helps the visor shed the rain and the bug splats. I haven't used it yet on my windshield, but it's not supposed to bother that either.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I checked with both my helmet manufacturer and with RainX and both said there was no problem
Now that' s interesting, thanks, I must have found one of those old wives tales.

[Edit]

I just did a search and there seems to be conflicting information on this topic. I'd say use caution and check with the manufacturer of your "specific" product. I'm curious though and will check with my helmet and windshield makers. I like how RainX works on the car.

·
Registered
191 Posts
There may be a difference with acrylic and polycarbonate in how it reacts. I'll check what my visor made of, but I have no problems with discoloration or haziness or anything using it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
motorcycle.com had a very nice article on helmet maintenance once that I can't seem to find right now. Shoei and Arai reps were sharing tips with readers. The best tip I saw was to remove the dead bugs and other grit from the helmet by taking a soft cloth (large hand towel would do), soaking it in warm water and draping it all around the helmet's surface. Leave it for 10-15 minutes, and all the mess will soften and come off easily when you wipe it with the same cloth.

That's what I do and it works perfectly. Once clean, I apply a good quality quick detailer (as used on cars) all around the helmet. Once every 2 months, I apply a high quality spray wax to it (which the QD 'refreshes' with each application until it wears away). It not only makes it harder for bugs to stick to the helmet and visor, but makes clean up much easier and quicker as the surface is so slick. Helps repel rain from the visor too.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I think polycarbonate by itself will absorb moisture over time and become cloudy unless coated. The proper care of these items then probably depends more on the compatibility of cleaning chemicals and the coating material on the plastic. In other words the answer is, it depends.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
I used to use cleaners claiming to be green and non-toxic. They ruined a number of the accessory parts on my Arai. Arai was good enough to rebuild the helmet for me, even providing a replacement smoked screen. All the plastic, including the polycarbonate visor, had been weakened by the cleaners.

I use water. There's no reason to use anything else.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Soap and water only... I use my tshirt to dry it off... My shields don't last long enough for me to care about proper cleaning of them...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I don't even clean my helmet anymore (except for the visor). I am pretty hard on it and after a year and a half it looks like it has been thrown down a rocky cliff with all the scratches and smudges on it. Probably move into a new full face this fall.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It’s always a good idea to read through your manufacturer’s handbook first to see if you can’t use chemicals or anything – and if that’s the case then just try warm water and a clean cloth to dry it. Hope you find what you’re looking for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts