Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how many people have had this happen, but it scared the hell out of me.

I was riding back to my house from a long ride in the local mountains and it was pretty dark. I came around a corner and was pushing the bike pretty hard when standing in the road looking at me was a huge f*(!ing deer just looking at me. Ok its southern california so the deer wasnt that big, but it looked like the size of an elephant at the time. I realized i could not brake cause I did not want the bike to straighten up and take me off the road so I leaned hard completely scraping the floor boards and just missed the damm deer. It did not move until after I passed.

I had to stop after the whole thing and just sit there for awhile thinking about how lucky I got.

Use to always wonder how people hit deer in the roadway, but now I know.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Dude! Close one, eh?

I once rounded a bend at night, to find a large Holstien squarely in the middle of the road... Figures, I was riding a KAWasaki...:p

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Yup, scary stuff. In the North Ga mountains we get a lot of deer, and I saw a bear once also.
One thing I did notice is that I see a lot of deer when I am on my Intruder, and no deer at all when I am on my Harley. The difference? The only one I can see is that the Harley has fishtail drag pipes, while the Intruder kind of quiet.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Yeah Dude...that will scare the ever lovin crap outa you. Around here & for the entire hour ride to my office, every turn can have one. It's amazing at how many there are, and how large they are too.

Around here the bucks are big, dressed they can be 180 or more pounds. I've seen them get hit dead on by cars, roll 5 times and then get up running.

Count your lucky stars.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Glad you didn't hit the deer -- he would've won. Like they say, if the animal's too big to eat at one setting, you'd better find a way to miss it.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
DrBob said:
Yup, scary stuff. In the North Ga mountains we get a lot of deer, and I saw a bear once also.
One thing I did notice is that I see a lot of deer when I am on my Intruder, and no deer at all when I am on my Harley. The difference? The only one I can see is that the Harley has fishtail drag pipes, while the Intruder kind of quiet.
OK, I got to say it LOUD PIPES saves lives.

OK let me modify that to "Reasonably loud pipes".

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Deer

Since we are discussing wildlife here, I am going to pass this on. Many years ago in previous riding life, My riding buddy and I would do a lot of upstate New York rural roads, he passed this on to me. If you see a deer or a couple on the side of a road either standing or heading into the woods or field, always glance at the opposite side of the road whether it's your side or not. Deer have a habit of sending out scouts ahead of the Male of the group to check an area out, So be aware that there could be others, starting to cross.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
SNAFU said:
GAnybody here use those stick on deer whistles? Do they work?
No, they don't. Search for more on this.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Loud pipes, whistles, day or night it doesn’t matter, those creatures are all over the place. The last one that crossed my path came through the tall stalks of a cornfield during the day. I didn’t come close but it was enough for me to stop the bike and let him cross the road yelling get the f*** out of the f***ing road you f***ing deer.

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,184 Posts
Old rider wisdom - don't ride faster than your braking distance, respective your sight line. If you are on a twisty road in the forest, enjoy the ride nice and slow, since there could be a deer/boar/hedgehog/whatever standing on the road right around the next turn.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
inspiron said:
Old rider wisdom - don't ride faster than your braking distance, respective your sight line. If you are on a twisty road in the forest, enjoy the ride nice and slow, since there could be a deer/boar/hedgehog/whatever standing on the road right around the next turn.
:plus1:
No doubt!

I came across a dang hay bail rounding one curve in the country a couple weeks back.......yeah, I'm in TX.
That thing was in a real bad spot. I thought about pulling over to move it, but the spot was so bad I was afraid I'd get hit.
I only hope some big ol country truck came behind me and busted that thing up w/o any trouble being caused.

Lots of deer around here too.
Heck, we even have some on the closed campus where I work and those suckers are brave cuz they're not shy as those running in the real wild.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Deer whistles don't work. State of Indiana in the late 80's and early 90's put them on half of there state vehicles. No change in the number of there vehicle/deer collisions. Had vehicles with and without the deer whistles hit the deer. Loud Pipes Save Lives is a popular belief among "truck drivers" who like to run straight pipes and play with there jake brakes too much. Don't believe that either. Big trucks hit there share of deer also. A friend of mine's brother was driving his big truck when he hit a deer, came through the front windshield and killed him as the deer passed through the cab and exited out the back window.

Would make a good Myth Busters episode.

Talk to some train engineers. You would be surprised how many deer they kill as the deer stand on the tracks starring at them with the air horns blarring.....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Glad to hear your OK. Now here are two stories that happened to me. 1) Heading to work, 62 miles one way and half of that on back roads, I make a left turn and started to gain speed when I counted seven deer. I came to a stop and waited till the road was clear. I still don't know why I had a feeling to slow down, but I did. 2) Coming home after working late about two miles from home a car coming from the other direction was flashing his lights, alot. This was in a area known for speed traps. When all of a sudden I see this cow running beside me and cutting into my path. That is two to many close calls for me.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I'm glad you didn't get hurt. And just be glad it wasn't anything bigger like a bear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts