Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Suzuki vs800gl intruder and have been having a clutch problem. So let me first start with what I have done so far. I have replaced the the clutch plates, and springs. Slave cylinder has pressure. And the bike still stalls as soon I put it in gear, lever still pressed. Thought it was the kick stand switch, tried that open and closed and still stalls. Any thing a missed?

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
Thought it was the kick stand switch, tried that open and closed and still stalls. Any thing a missed?
Yes.
You actually need to TEST the switch or take the wires off and try it with them OPEN and then SHORTED together.
Pushing the switch in and out might not prove anything if the contacts inside have failed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes.
You actually need to TEST the switch or take the wires off and try it with them OPEN and then SHORTED together.
Pushing the switch in and out might not prove anything if the contacts inside have failed.
I actually tried that, I unplugged it and tried open and shorted. Still have no go.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
You said the slave has pressure but is it sufficient to seperate the plates. I would suspect the MC/piston is in need of repair. Also the slave cylinder may need work too. Bleeding the system would be my first point to try....unless you have already done this....although sometimes they need to be done over. When bleeding make sure the tube attached to the bleed nipple doesnt draw air back into the sytem. keep the lever fully pulled until the nipple is tightened. Als keep the MC fluid filled over the inlet port.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
I actually tried that, I unplugged it and tried open and shorted. Still have no go.
OK, well the fine details of exactly what happens when you put it into gear might be important.
IF.....it instantly goes completely DEAD, then you still should suspect the sidestand safety circuit.
I think I remember that UP is shorted and that a relay might be involved.
So a broken wire could make it look DOWN all the time.
So could a bad relay.

·
Registered
198 Posts
the way mine works is if you disconnect the kickstand wires you cant start it in gear it has to be in neutral. if you tie the wires together you can start it in gear with the kickstand down or up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts