Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch seems to slip when I'm riding in 4th or 5th gear, and when I give it some gas, I hear the engine rev up, but I don't speed up. :mad:

How can I fix this issue? Does anyone know...?

Any assistance you can offer will be appreciated.

Dean

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
How many miles? How's your oil (level and age)? Is there a bit of slack in the clutch cable?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has 13,200 miles on it, oil is only 2400 miles old, changed by dealer in May 08 when I bought it. I notice the slippage most when on highway in 4th or 5th gear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil level looks good, and no slack in cable. There is some play in the clutch lever, it doesn't stay out completely, maybe 1/2" of play in the lever.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
If there's no slack in the cable, it may be pulling on the clutch at all times. Try loosening it slightly.

·
Super Moderator
12,291 Posts
Oil level looks good, and no slack in cable. There is some play in the clutch lever, it doesn't stay out completely, maybe 1/2" of play in the lever.
So......how can you have play in the lever but NO slack in the cable ??? :roll:

It IS the slack in the cable that gives you play in the lever. :mrgreen:

Are you the first owner? Do you have a shop manual?

Some have a second adjustment near the bottom of the cable; don't know about that one.

Hopefully someone with that model will chime in...........if they ever come in from riding !! :bluethum:

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Yes, this can be caused by the oil level being low, or the wrong type of oil being in the bike, but generally these things (or a dragging clutch cable) will cause slipping all the time. Slipping from a worn out clutch or glazzed clutch plates usually starts under throttle in high gear, then get progressively worse until it does it all the time. So chances are it is time for a clutch. The average clutch usually lasts longer than 13K, but I've seen the original clutch go out a lot quicker than that depending on riding style, the type of terrain you live in, how much traffic you ride in, and several other factors. And if the clutch cable was, at some point, too tight, or someone tried to do a burn out, or a previous owner was too gentle letting the clutch out, that could glaze the clutch plates, which makes them too smooth even if they are not worn out yet.
A clutch is not hard to do yourself. HERE is a write up and some photos of me putting a clutch in a Suzuki Intruder. Your bike is different, but not radically different, so it will give you and idea of what is involved.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Yep. I agree. I was the victim of wishful thinking, I guess, hoping for a simple solution. Something must've gone wrong for it to fail at 13k.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well have you done any power upgrades aka new pipes, jet kit, or K&N's. The clutch is a very weak point of the 'rauders. You might wanna look into a Vesrah (sp?) spring and clutch material upgrade. they replace the stock clutch pack with better material and the springs are heavier and to admit better holding than stock.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Oh, without a doubt, buy aftermarket springs and friction plates. OEM ones are chosen because they are the cheapest parts available that meet the minimum specs- aftermarket will perform better and last longer.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
With a clutch cable setup the adjuster near the engine controls how much the clutch separates and the bar lever controls when. If the engine adjustment is too far out it may be causing the clutch to never fully mesh..........hopefully it is simply a stretched cable that the dealer adjusted incorrectly rather than fitting a new one

Good luck

·
Registered
389 Posts
My son-in-law had the same trouble with his 04 marauder too. It started to slip at the end of the season last fall and we put a new clutch pack in it over winter. It isn't too difficult. You just have to keep track where all the correct lenght bolts go!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have an 03 Marauder. Had the same slippage problem. I was fortunate, found that cable adjustment solved the problem for me. I too had slack in the lever and still had too taut a cable. Had to watch the action of the lever on the case while slowly engaging the lever. Good luck with yours. Mine has 25,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The fact that it's not slipping in the lower gears indicates that your clutches are ok and that it's your clutch springs. I had the same symptoms and replaced the springs with Vesrah springs, which you should be able to get at the dealer. You'll have to go here anyhow, to get a new gasket. A word of caution if you're replacing the springs yourself, the spring bolts need to be torqued to, I think it's 94in/lbs. Any more than this and you risk snapping the bolts, then, you're up %%%%% creek.

Vesrah Clutch Spring Kit: $15
Gasket: $12
No More Slippage: Priceless

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clutch Slippage

You Have Proably Done This Already But Replace The Clutch Springs With Vesrah Part # Sk-329 And Get A New Cover Gasket From The Dealer. Torque On The Spring Bolts Is 7ft/lbs.make Sure You Have 1/2-3/4" Of Free Play At The Clutch Lever And Your Clutch Will Work Amazing Big Improvement Over Stock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts