Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 GSXR 600 5500 miles

Does anyone else have a coolant problen as in using alittle?
I seem to have to top it off all to often its only very little but I know the cooling system doesnt use very much.

Ive worked on cars for a very long time and know models that do odd but almost normall things. This would never be normall but im wondering if its a common problem?

Any help would be great!

· Registered
1,933 Posts
So how often are you topping off the coolant in your bike?? Are you adding it to the overflow tank or right into the radiator core?? Does your bike over heat at all?? Any coolant flow out of overflow tube from radiator cap?? Is your radiator cap on tight and in good shape?? Crap in the tension spring?? Rubber gasket smooth and clean?? Do you smell coolant while riding your bike or after you've stopped??

Need more details to help you out bro. :)

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Forgive me if I am telling you anything you already know.

-First make sure that the mixture of the coolant is composed correctly. This should be about 1/2 and 1/2 between coolant and distilled water. If it is not correct sometimes it can make a difference.

-Next always check the coolant level when the engine is cold, otherwise if the engine is running hot the fluid will appear higher than usual due to heat expansion.

-Last; do not overfill the resevoir. The coolant needs the space to breathe and if there is too much pressure from heat, this can cause overflow (from the cap or the excess tube) reducing the amount of coolant in the resevoir.

If this doesn't help give a little more descriptive problem and I'm sure someone in this forum can help you out more.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK sorry you guys are right I gave really spotty details.

I havent checked the radiator cap yet.

I am adding it to the overflow tank.

It does not overheat.

Always delt with when the engine is cold.

I will check the cap soon for the tell tail sighn. I really don't want to I dont want to know if there is a problem! Well I do but I have never worked on bikes before and it appears im going to have to get dirty!

· Registered
1,288 Posts
I haven't looked at mine, but in my car that cap is directly on to of the radiator. As for looking for whats wrong with the cap, im really not sure but I THINK i heard that the solution under the cap should be as close to water texture as possible. If the fluid is more of a pasty gel like substance it can cause clogs, and lead to leakage (sometimes smaller than you can see as a problem).

Remember I said I THINK and I hope someone posts a reply saying I'm wrong or right, but its worth a shot to take a look.

· Registered
887 Posts
Pull the plugs and see if you have any coolant on them. Does the bike have any white smoke coming from the exhasut?

You may only have a loose clamp on a hose causing a small drip here and there. Park it on piece of cardboard and see what drips onto the cardboard over a few days.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it seems to have stopped now... I wonder if the guy I bought it from never ever filled it and I have been re priming the system hmm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.