Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am a total newbie to pulling apart motors etc... but I am trying...
I recently fitted a new carb to my postie bike...
seems to be running fine... I used it for a while and it was great.
now when I have the bike on the centre stand and start it and put it into gear it is fine..
If I have the bike on the ground and start it and put it into gear it stalls.
does anyone have any suggestions before I pull the clutch thingy apart....
Cheers and thank in advance

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
If I have the bike on the ground and start it and put it into gear it stalls.
First make sure that you don't have too much slack in your clutch cable causing the clutch to drag.

Then.....does it also do that if you re-start it with the engine fully warmed up ?

Idle speed might be a bit slow too.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
These have a centrifugal clutch yeah? I woud run some carb cleaner through, change fuel and where you buy it as sometimes the garage gets contaminated fuel ...esp when they fill the tanks....it stirs the crud up and the next user gets a good dose of it in their delivery of fuel. The clutch adjustment is easy on these. straight from wikipedia....

The clutch is adjusted with the engine off. Remove the cover protector (1) and loosen the adjuster lock nut (2). Turn the clutch adjuster (3) clockwise one turn; do not turn excessively. Slowly turn the adjuster counterclockwise until a slight resistance is felt.

Ps whereabouts in Oz are you?

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These have a centrifugal clutch yeah? I woud run some carb cleaner through, change fuel and where you buy it as sometimes the garage gets contaminated fuel ...esp when they fill the tanks....it stirs the crud up and the next user gets a good dose of it in their delivery of fuel. The clutch adjustment is easy on these. straight from wikipedia....

The clutch is adjusted with the engine off. Remove the cover protector (1) and loosen the adjuster lock nut (2). Turn the clutch adjuster (3) clockwise one turn; do not turn excessively. Slowly turn the adjuster counterclockwise until a slight resistance is felt.

Ps whereabouts in Oz are you?

Good luck
Thanks I shall try that...
I am in Cairns 😎

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Sunshine Coast hey? I lived in Brisbane for four years....back in 1980

1 - 5 of 5 Posts