Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 15 year old in high school and going to be 16 in August. I want to get a motorcycle that is reliable, easy to maintain, and relativity cheap. I heard about the CT90 and CT110 from another site and was wondering which of the two is the better one. Also, what should stock parts should I replace?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
from what i can see the ct90 ceased production in 1979 and was replaced by the ct110 until at least 2009. im not sure if theres a market they are still being produced for.
so the choice is pretty easy. get the 110.

there werent all that many of them sold in the US. but perhaps one of our friends from down under have some info on it.
there are other inexpensive decent bikes out there as well. availability will change based on the country.

·
Super Moderator
12,836 Posts
Also, what should stock parts should I replace?
Welcome to the forum.
Please read earlier threads about "My first bike".

Your first bike should be: Used, small and relatively inexpensive.
The second one can be more like what you really want.

And you should concentrate on learning good riding habits and just enjoying the ride BEFORE
you start thinking about things on the bike to change. Nothing "needs" to be changed on any bike......except maybe for some models with maintenance problems.

If you haven't taken a new rider training course yet you should......BEFORE you start seriously looking for a bike.
This is NOT like climbing into a different car or truck to drive; much different, and the skills you need don't come
automatically.

P.S. Most places a 16 year old can't legally own anything. Does at least one of your parents agree with your plan ??

·
0 Posts
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Ummm...Easy Rider- the CT90 and CT110 are 90 and 110cc mopeds respectively, from Honda. You can't get much smaller than that ;)

The CT90 has not been made in over 30 years, so nothing that old is going to be reliable. A used CT110 is a good choice- they are famous for reliability. The CT110 is one of the most popular vehicles in the world, so they are very affordable, very easy to find. Just look for a used one that runs smoothly, had no cracks in the frame, and has not been heavily modified by a previous owner.

Popular mods for these little things include a passenger seat (which is not a good idea because there are no pegs and the bike is not designed to carry two people), and performance upgrades. They only make about 7 horsepower so people often remove the baffles, open up the air intake, and put a larger jet in the carb to try and pick up and extra HP. If done right there are no problems, if done wrong the engine will run lean and burn itself out quickly, so avoid a used one if these mods were recently done by an amateur, but don;t think twice about it if they were done professionally. Nothing on the bike needs to be replaced- they are solid little machines the way they come out of the factory.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,836 Posts
Ummm...Easy Rider- the CT90 and CT110 are 90 and 110cc mopeds respectively, from Honda. You can't get much smaller than that ;)
Oh crap. I just didn't "see" those T's and was thinking C90.......and didn't know that they made a C110 !!!
How stupid of me. Time to go back and edit.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
My first step up from a minibike was a CT (Trail) 90,mine was a 1966 but ahem at the time it wasn't very old lol.
They have a 4 speed gear box with a centrifugal clutch,later models of the 90 and the 110 will have a high/low range switch giving them 8 gears overall for street or trail.
My old '66 just had two rear sprockets mounted to the wheel so you could add or lose some chain to go with street gearing or trail gearing depending on which sprocket you were running.

circa 1970

·
Registered
2 Posts

The CT90 has not been made in over 30 years, so nothing that old is going to be reliable. A used CT110 is a good choice- they are famous for reliability. The CT110 is one of the most popular vehicles in the world, so they are very affordable, very easy to find. Just look for a used one that runs smoothly, had no cracks in the frame, and has not been heavily modified by a previous owner.

Popular mods for these little things include a passenger seat (which is not a good idea because there are no pegs and the bike is not designed to carry two people), and performance upgrades. They only make about 7 horsepower so people often remove the baffles, open up the air intake, and put a larger jet in the carb to try and pick up and extra HP. If done right there are no problems, if done wrong the engine will run lean and burn itself out quickly, so avoid a used one if these mods were recently done by an amateur, but don;t think twice about it if they were done professionally. Nothing on the bike needs to be replaced- they are solid little machines the way they come out of the factory.
i just joined this site after reading posts including yours about prepping and starting bikes that haven’t run in awhile. If I can pick your brain? 1984 CT110 I’ve owned since almost new, service record from 1986,1086 miles tune up at dealer, valves, oil etc. We only used it on our property, only has about 1900 miles on it. Property burned in 1999, bike always stored inside “normal” climate, fuel always turned off when storing until engine died. Even though using stabile gas was no good so I’m in process cleaning itusing Evaporus, vinegar flushing, baking soda to neutralize etc. beforehand I’ll replace gas hoses, battery, spark plug, change oil, lube chain etc. I haven’t checked for compression yet, older mechanic told my son to remove plug put some oil inside hit the kick starter etc to lube engine. Can you give me some advice if that’s correct or what I should do. If the engine is frozen I’m screwed but hoping that’s not the case. I’m 69, I had it sold but my 40 year old son has some emotional ties to it, so Dads working on it. Local Honda shop told me “we can’t get parts we don’t work on them”. I was sort of shocked just wanting them to prep it starting it after I got it back together. I’ve already bought parts for it on secondary markets, but it is challengin.

·
Super Moderator
12,836 Posts
Alas, Dr. Bob is not with us anymore.

Oiling the piston is a good idea, just don't use too much.
Beyond that, I'm not familiar with the model.
Maybe someone else here is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alas, Dr. Bob is not with us anymore.

Oiling the piston is a good idea, just don't use too much.
Beyond that, I'm not familiar with the model.
Maybe someone else here is.
Thanks. It’s a small engine trail bike top speed 40-45. Add recommended viscosity oil thru spark plug hole? Any idea how much? I’ve heard teaspoo??

·
Super Moderator
12,836 Posts
The kind of oil isn't important as it's going to disappear rather quickly.
Even 3 in 1 oil would be fine, even ATF.
No more than a tablespoon (1/2 ounce), not because more will hurt anything but because when you then turn it over with the plug OUT, the excess oil will shoot out and make a mess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts