Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened a few weeks ago in the Houston area: https://abc13.com/motorcyclist-crashes-while-giving-driver-the-finger-in-cypress/5275791/
A friend of mine knew the guy- yes, that's past tense. He was on life support for a week or so, but there was nothing they could do. Is there a dumber way to die than giving yourself over to road rage?

This guy took his eyes and attention off of his riding not once, but twice, for what? To 'express himself' to some stranger that doesn't care? What's the absolute best result that can come of that? Here's an example of the worst. The reasonable choice seems obvious to me.

Personally, I refuse to expend my time and energy getting mad at some idiot for being an idiot. I have better, more fun things to do. I try not to let them kill me, first and foremost. If one almost does, I get as far away from them as I can, as fast as possible. I see no value in pursuing someone that outweighs me 10 to 1, and may be drunk or high or a psycho killer, or who knows what. I'll even take a different route to wherever I'm going if that's what it takes, or just pull off and stop somewhere. I'm not out there to get in a fight. I'm out there to ride.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Sad result of getting too carried away with dopey drivers. I tend to view dumb driving actions a bit more philisophically these days. A favourite of mine is where a guy attempts to kick a car that has pissed him off....he ends up falling off ...fortunately for him the worst is no more than a bruised ego.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not too far from where I live, and I ride in that area often. I tend to pay attention to the motorcycle accidents in the Houston area. I guess I missed this one.

I understand the frustration, but it doesn't make sense to put your life at risk just to complain about another driver.

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I watch for any motorcycle incidents in the news too. DeBrew. I want to know as much as possible about what happens and why. It's sad how many of them are caused by the rider's recklessness.

Maybe we should meet up some time and have an M50 ride, I live in Cy-Fair more or less.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tend to view dumb driving actions a bit more philisophically these days.
I have to be honest and admit, I was not always so philosophical. Once upon a time, a guy with my name and a younger version of my face used to treat driving as a contact sport. I drove vehicles that had a few dents and scuffs, and wasn't afraid of another one. I would rub paint with someone if they were misbehaving, I even left my mark on two sticker-in-the-window brand-new cars in those days. I didn't have a street bike then, that's probably a good thing.

I'm grateful I lived long enough to outgrow those attitudes. I let idiots be idiots and just try not to let them kill me. I don't even let them raise my blood pressure any more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I watch for any motorcycle incidents in the news too. DeBrew. I want to know as much as possible about what happens and why. It's sad how many of them are caused by the rider's recklessness.

Maybe we should meet up some time and have an M50 ride, I live in Cy-Fair more or less.
I could ride the M50 or my Indian Springfield. What part of Cy-Fair? I’m near Cypress-Rosehill and 290.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts