Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Boulevard C50T. Sometimes at a stop when down shifting, the bike gets stuck in neutral and I am not able to shift down to first unless I release the clutch. Any idea what's wrong? or is it something I may be doing? I'll be riding along in 3rd or 4th and come to a red ligh. I pull in the clutch and coast to the light. When I stop I try to shift down to 1st - that's when I can't get past neutral. Any advice is appreciated

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
What year? How many miles? How old is the oil? Can you see how filling out your profile might help us out here? ;-)

·
Cookie Monstress.
5,192 Posts
sounds like my bike too.... I just rock it a bit fwd or back..

you should always try to down shift to first before you completely stop anyway....safer in case you need to maneuver away quickly. This is basic MSF safety teachings. Also you will never find yourself trying to start out in 2nd or 3rd and killing the engine while somebody rides up your tail.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What year? How many miles? How old is the oil? Can you see how filling out your profile might help us out here? ;-)
I can't find the link to fill out profile. the bike is a C50T 2007, 7000 miles. Oil was changed when I bought is about 6 months ago. I only put a few hundred miles on it

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
I'd expect it to loosen up a bit more with time. Also, I'd suggest switching to synthetic for smoother shifting, but that would start a flame war, so I won't. ;-)

Click "user CP" at upper left.

·
Super Moderator
12,158 Posts
When I stop I try to shift down to 1st - that's when I can't get past neutral. Any advice is appreciated
If it hurts when you do it like that, then stop !! :mrgreen:

Almost every bike ever built will sometimes "hang" in neutral when shifted at a full stop.

Your technique is bad. You should match the gear with the speed.....both going up AND going down. You should click it into 1st just a second before you need to put your feet down.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. You are right, I should slow down and downshift. When I do it like that it is fine.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Chances are, if you take it out of first and into neutral, it'll go back into first easier. Try shifting to first as ER suggests, then shift to neutral if the situation warrants.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I always thought that was a normal problem. Its happened on all the bikes I've been on..

When your in neutral or any other gear and it won't shift down or up some times you have to kinda push the bike forward a bit with the clutch held in and then it will slip into gear.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hmmm? All the Honda's I ever owned never had this problem.....

I hope my 2008 C50T doesn't have this prrblem.....I don't believe my brother has this problem on his V-Staqr 650...

I can't see paying as much money for a new bike, where I have to "ROCK" back and forth to get it in 1st??? Sounds like a design issue?

dan

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
When I installed my gear indicator I had to teach it the gears by going through each of them.
Even the manual said that if the gear selected will not go in then rock the bike a little with the clutch in.

·
Happy-ass Lunatic
11,409 Posts
I have a Boulevard C50T. Sometimes at a stop when down shifting, the bike gets stuck in neutral and I am not able to shift down to first unless I release the clutch. Any idea what's wrong? or is it something I may be doing? I'll be riding along in 3rd or 4th and come to a red ligh. I pull in the clutch and coast to the light. When I stop I try to shift down to 1st - that's when I can't get past neutral. Any advice is appreciated
Personally, I thought all bikes did that. I thought it was par for the course for constant-mesh transmissions. I just release the clutch, pull it in, then shift into first. :D

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I get that too, but quickly release the clutch and try again. It's really never bothered me.

When I installed my gear indicator I had to teach it the gears by going through each of them.
Even the manual said that if the gear selected will not go in then rock the bike a little with the clutch in.
Hmm....but how can I rock the bike if I can't get both my feet down on the ground??? :sad:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Make sure the clutch is adjusted properly, then try to shift down to nuetral before you stop if possible. On some bikes you can do that in the last few feet before coming to a complete stop.
Back in the 70s I owned 72 TX 750 Yamaha, some after I bought it I had shifting problems. They tore it down on warranty and found that the shifting forks were bent. I got the bike back and not too long after the same thing happened again. I thought,'boy I sure bought the wrong motorcycle'.
Well I took it back to the dealer and they fixed it again. When I picked it up the mechanic told me to take a test ride around the block and come back and tell him how it feels. When I pulled back in to the front of his shop he suggested that I shift to nuetral before stopping and that it may be the reason I was bending forks. He must have been right, I rode that bike for 3 years without a problem.
I have over 140K on the bike I ride now and never have had any trannie problems, it still has the original clutch also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts