There is a bit more to it than just drilling into the carb. I knew from dismantling it before that this piston is solid, not hollow. I clamped the float bowl in a mill/drill and slowly and carefully drilled into it. The biggest problem would have been drilling right through. this would have made it useless, but as I was only drilling about 3mm into a piston that is about 15 mm deep, it wasn't really a problem. I work in an engineering workshop, so I have access to all the equipment needed. This is a HUGE help when rebuilding a bike. I would have saved myself hundreds of dollars.
For example: All the bearings in the rear sespension and swingarm were worn out (too much riding on the beach with no washing down afterwards). Many of these bearings are needle rollers, which are specials (i.e not avaliable from the local bearing shop, only from Suzuki distributors at huge cost and a long wait). I decided that needle rollers were a massive overkill for what I want to use the bike for (fun trailriding and bush bashing) so I turned up my own sintered bronze and plastic bushes. Also, some of the pins (long bolts) were badly worn, so again, I made my own, heat treated them myself and they fit fine. I'll see how they work when the bike is finished.