Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have just completed a complete engine rebuild for the above but I am having problems figuring out the position of the camshaft . I have a manual that says that when the piston is at top dead center, the marks on the end of the cam shaft should be lined up with the top of the head and the pin that positions the sprocket should be in the one o'clock position.

The thing is i don't have any marks at the end of mine, and was wondering if anyone knew of another way of setting it up. There is a key channel on the shaft at the other end, but if I position the pin at one o'clock it does not quite line up parallel with the head. This is how they set up the DR400 and SP370, so was wondering if they did it this way on this model. Am I being too picky as to the position of the one O'clock?

I would upload some photos, but can't figure out how to do that either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this has stopped me in my tracks, many thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally got time to figure it out, key slot on the end of the camshaft has to line up with barrel with the lobes pointing down. Doesn't matter about where exactly the cam sprocket is, somewhere between 12 and 1 o'clock . If your interested that is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I might have the same problem you had. Not really sure how to go about the timing. I see the T mark on the flywheel and don't know where that should be in relation to the camshaft. You didn't take pictures by chance did you? Or can you dumb it down enough for me to understand how to go about it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts