Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
MZ ETZ 150
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I am trying to restore the 31 years old motorcycle my grandpa used 31 year ago and never used, and was just sitting there unused accumulating dust, rust and all sorts of nasty stuff for all these years.
One of the biggest issues I've seen so far is the front brake, the brake fluid when I opened the cap was completely dry (I could only see some white chunks), and the inner mechanism of the pump are stuck (pulling the lever does nothing, nothing moves).
My question to you guys is, what can I use to dissolve the old fluid and bleed the brakes? Also, I don't know anything about motorcycles, this is the first time touching one, so if you have some questions for me, please elaborate on what you mean so I can better answer... Thanks!

P.d. I tried using Isopropyl alcohol (96%) didn't do anything... I read somewhere that new brake liquid can work, but I have no clue... Also, would muriatic acid be too strong for it?

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
ALL the working parts that the fluid touches need to be replaced.
Forget cleaning and re-using anything.
New master cylinder. New slave cylinder. New hoses. New calipers.

This kind of a restoration project is often way BEYOND practical for most people.
Your mention of cleaning with acid is evidence of that.

·
Registered
MZ ETZ 150
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ALL the working parts that the fluid touches need to be replaced.
Forget cleaning and re-using anything.
New master cylinder. New slave cylinder. New hoses. New calipers.

This kind of a restoration project is often way BEYOND practical for most people.
Your mention of cleaning with acid is evidence of that.
The problem I forgot to mention is the fact that, first I don't have enough money to buy another brake system as I am in a budget right now, and second I won't be able to find a new one anyways since this motorcycle eas discontinued in the 90s as I understand...

I really don't care how difficult it is, if it is possible I'd appreciate any hints :)

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
You already got the only hint that I have to offer.
I don't think it is possible.......given all the limitations that you have at the moment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts