Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to the forum but I own a 2011 Kawasaki Vaquero and my drive belt snapped in beginning of August so the shop ordered a new one here I am in November and still no belt I was told there are 40 on order and I'm number 3 on the list but still no belt I was wondering if this is factory defect
And would like to know if other Kawasaki owners are having the same problem thank you to anyone who responds
Dpower4112

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
How many miles over those 9 years ?

Belts, of all kinds, are "wear items". Final drive belts even more so.
So a "factory defect" isn't likely.

I think you should be searching around for a 3rd party belt from someone other than Kawasaki.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately for me the shop I chose will only use an OEM belt but to answer your question my bike has a little over 30 miles but I keep hearing about people getting 100 thousand miles out of belts so I don't know I do realize that they need to be changed as part of the maintenance but seems a little premature to me thank you for your response

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
Unfortunately for me the shop I chose will only use an OEM belt but to answer your question my bike has a little over 30 miles
Of course an OEM shop will only use over-priced OEM parts.
BUT.....you have had plenty of time now to look for another shop and another belt.......and take the machine somewhere else to get it fixed.
As far as belt wear goes, they most often fail due to unusual wear circumstances, like rock holes or abnormal wear due to sandy or dirty riding conditions or due to misalignment over a long period.
And I'm pretty sure that your "30 miles" is a typo....right ??

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
IF.....you insist on leaving it with that shop to fix, how LONG are you willing to wait ?

And while it is being fixed, I would insist on them providing at least a guess as to why it failed so soon.

What exactly led you to believe that it HAD failed ??

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
I would also suspect the time frame had more to do with the failure rather than the mileage. Belts deteriorate over time esp exposed to the elements such as a drive belt...thats why car manufacturers recommend mileage or age for cam belts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would also suspect the time frame had more to do with the failure rather than the mileage. Belts deteriorate over time esp exposed to the elements such as a drive belt...thats why car manufacturers recommend mileage or age for cam belts.
I didn't think about the age thing
Ya belts and hoses they usually so to replace the every ten yes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts