Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a windshield for my Intruder, but I've never ridden with one. My questions:

I'm 6'2". How much wind would a small windshield block? Would it do any good at all? With a small windshield, I assume that my body would be somewhat protected, but that I would still get hit with wind in my face.

Would a large windshield block the wind from my face?

· Registered
2,058 Posts
I guess this is one of those 'everything is relative' answers. Main rule for a windshield is that you don't want it too high; e.g., when riding, you should be looking over the top of the windshield, not through it. So yes, you'll still get a bit of wind over the top. I think what most people have noticed is that it sort of accentuates the wind coming from below the windshield. This can be countered with lowers, or you can just live with it, as I do.

· Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I was against buying a windshield at first. But after riding for a month and talking with many long-time riders, I've decided to get one. If I don't like it, I can just remove it. No big deal.

· Registered
2,058 Posts
my C50 was the first bike I've had with a windshield.. it's an OEM and was installed before I picked it up. I had a few doubts at first, but I've decided I rather like it.

· Registered
833 Posts
I installed an aftermarket 'chrome cruiser' style windshield on my Marauder. It makes a huge difference at highway speeds. When I first installed it I had it snug around the headlight and parallel to the forks. This was fine below 45mph or so but above that speed the wind would come off the top of the windshield and hit me right in the shoulder/neck area.

I've since moved the windshield up about two inches and angled it down more (more towards me) now the wind is arcing nicely just over my head and its just fine at highway speeds. It's a little higher but I'm still looking over it.

The aftermarket windshield was nice because it looks good, the price was right ($130) and its very adjustable/flexible in its positioning. The downside is it's very adjustable/flexible in its positioning so figure in some extra time to find just the right spots to mount it and adjust for the best fit and look.

· Registered
2,058 Posts
That would be a downside to the OEM model... it's adjustable up and down some, but not much in the angle.

· Registered
29 Posts
I am 5-11. Got a Memphis Fats 17" and am happy with the effect. Though it was totally useless without the lowers. Anything over 55mph, the bufetting was so severe that it blurred my vision. The lowers cleared it up. Wouldn't want to ride without a shield now that I have one.

· Registered
2,058 Posts
zacman said:
I am 5-11. Got a Memphis Fats 17" and am happy with the effect. Though it was totally useless without the lowers. Anything over 55mph, the bufetting was so severe that it blurred my vision. The lowers cleared it up. Wouldn't want to ride without a shield now that I have one.
Even when cruisin' with my shortie helmet, I've never had that problem without the lowers. When I wear my full-face HJK it just isn't an issue at all :wink:

· Site Admin & Squeegee Boy
4,459 Posts
Winshield will change handling and make slow speed moves harder and act like a sail at speeds.

Nothing to worry about, you get used to it pretty quick but first couple of times out take it easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.