Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1981 Suzuki GS750, and that seems to be all it takes to get the right parts for it, but everywhere I go, there are two specific models listed. There is the 750L and the 750E. My title doesn't specify which model I have, and I don't seem to be able to find anything by googling for differences. Any tips on how to find out which I actually have, or at least the differences between the two?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Luckily, the left side cover is the one that I DO have on the bike, and since it doesn't have any letter at all, I now know that I have the E model. Thanks for the info, slozomby. :plus1:
That picture does bring up some questions that I won't get answered, however... my E model (and this may just be the year) has the instrument cluster of the L model, as well as the round headlight, but the back end is definitely the E model.
That picture sure is handy to have, hope you don't mind that I saved it locally. Since I am missing one of the covers, I was going to order a replacement from bikebandit, and noticed enough of a difference that I needed to know the model before continuing, so once again, thank you!

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I'm afraid that picture is actually no help at all. The reason why your bike does not match either model exactly is because the picture shows the 1980 L and E models; you have a 1981, and neither the L nor the E model were produced for 1981. The E and L versions were discontinued in 1980, and for 1981 the two choices were the G and the GL. Both had the round headlight, but the G model had the tail from the old E model. From what you describe, you have a 1981 GS750 G and you should be looking for parts for that, and not for the 1980 and earlier GS750 L or E.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That honestly makes things more confusing... I shop at bikebandit.com for parts, procaliber for parts, and suzukipart.com - none of these sites offer the G or GL models for the year 1981 unless it is for the 850cc engine. Additionally, when looking at the GS750E models on suzukipart.com, there seems to be both an ET and EX submodel. I seem to have the EX simply because of the paint options. (black)

I really do appreciate the feedback, but not sure how three separate sites selling parts could have incorrect information vs one created by a fan. (no offense to the awesome work done by Jarmo Haapamäki)
I'm going to look into this more, and hope that when I order the right hand frame cover for this bike, it actually fits because bikebandit calls it a GS750EX as well, but doesn't mention the ET option. The more I look into it, the more inconsistencies I find. Is it at all possible that the year is incorrect on my title?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got some pics of the bike so maybe this model question can be answered better. I'm also going to ask a question about a specific picture.
In this first pic, it is a closeup of the side cover on the left side of the bike:

You can see that it does not specify anything other than GS750
I can zoom out and show the entire left side here:

Please forgive how dirty my shop is currently, I'm not the only one using it. (it also doubles as storage)
The bike is also filthy, but I've put 1000 miles on it since it was purchased, and still working to get it 100%, so washing it has not been a priority. (took the bugs off the windshield a couple times, though)

The right hand side doesn't help much with the side cover, as the bike did not come with it:

The picture below is of the back end, you can see the tail section matched what was discussed prior: (except for the aftermarket saddlebags)

Coming around to the front of the bike...

Not much is really stock there, but it used the round headlight.

Now for my final, and somewhat unrelated question: in this last picture, you can see the instrument cluster and the choke knob just below it... Most of the knob is gone. Can't seem to find any place to sell me a replacement, any suggestions to pretty this up?

As a side note, the aftermarket air filters that you may see in some of the pics are being replaced with an OEM-style air filter as soon as it comes in.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.