Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I have a 1980 Suzuki GS850G, which I'm going to keep, but I'm shopping for a second bike now. I'm trying to keep the cost down on this purchase, and a 2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT for just under $2000 on the internet caught my eye. The only catch seems to be that it has a lot of miles on it--over 95,000. My question is this: Are highway miles easy on a motorcycle the same way they are on a car? I've had a lot of success buying younger cars with high miles, and I just wonder if I can expect the same kind of thing out of a motorcycle.

Thanks to anyone who has knowledge or opinion on this. Obviously, the most valuable opinions would be those backed up by some kind of evidence, even if it's anecdotal.

·
Super Moderator
12,598 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
IF.....it looks good and runs good, I'd suggest having a compression test done and the belt inspected.
Then there is tires which can be expensive.
Then there was a stator problem that got fixed right about '08.
Might be well worth $100 or so to have a shop go over it.

You might find good information and/or opinions here:
vulcanriders.us

My general advice is to always ask point blank if there are any known unrepaired problems with it.
Many sellers will forget to mention stuff like that but are reluctant to outright lie about it.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Most engines prefer regular speed as apposed to stop start and out and out racing....not that I ever did that ;). As ER stated overall appearance is a good indication of how well the bike has been maintained...one that is dirty, scratched and generally scruffy is most likely going to have been poorly maintained.

·
Registered
357 Posts
$2000 is still a lot for a bike with that many miles. It's a 2 cylinder. With 95,000 miles. Realistically, how much more do you think you're going to get out of it before it needs major work? It's pretty much a parts bike at this point. Of course, it's your money, spend it how you want.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
$2000 is still a lot for a bike with that many miles. It's a 2 cylinder. With 95,000 miles. Realistically, how much more do you think you're going to get out of it before it needs major work? It's pretty much a parts bike at this point. Of course, it's your money, spend it how you want.
I tend to agree, there's a lot of them out there with fairly low miles that could be had in the $3K range,a little more up front but probably a lot more miles left in them.
Cycle trader has a bunch between $3-4K and asking prices are usually high on there compared to actual cash selling prices.
Here's one on my local CL asking $3500,even money says $3K would take it home and it's only got 20K miles. 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic - Fuel Injected

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Didnt see the mileage...and it is miles...we have those pretend miles here...kilometres. Even 95 thousand kilometres is a bit steep. As many have said lower mileage ones on offer are better value.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Isn't the 900 water cooled like the 1500 I had? A goldwing with that many miles is like spitting in the wind.
Even Harley has bowed down to water cooling. Guess you buy new cars. I have truck and car, both bought with over a 100k,looked them over, they clean and both mine. Water cooled bike whole different animal than airheads. How long can a 900 idle before the fan comes on? Don't know, but an 800 would idle on kickstand for 90 min. That's my three cents worth....

tarheel

·
Super Moderator
12,598 Posts
Isn't the 900 water cooled like the 1500 I had?
How long can a 900 idle before the fan comes on?
Yes, water cooled.
And mine will idle at a light after highway riding maybe 3-4 minutes before the fan comes on........which proves exactly nothing without knowing what the temperature IS when that happens.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have Harley. When I sit at light it just keeps getting hotter. No fan, no radiator. Just more heat. There is a little temp guage in the dipstick that I can't see because my leg is in the way. Have to get off or raise my leg over my head. No matter I can feel the heat boiling up my right leg. Ah the light has turned green time to go.
Don't get me wrong. I love my hog. Next time I get one of those m109's everyone talking about....

tarheel

·
Registered
95 Posts
I should say my friend had 800 Vulcan, I had 1500. His fan would not come on for longest time, but mine would snap on right away.

tarheel

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I have Harley. When I sit at light it just keeps getting hotter. No fan, no radiator. Just more heat. There is a little temp guage in the dipstick that I can't see because my leg is in the way. Have to get off or raise my leg over my head. No matter I can feel the heat boiling up my right leg. Ah the light has turned green time to go.
Don't get me wrong. I love my hog. Next time I get one of those m109's everyone talking about....

tarheel
You'll never have radiator leak lol.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
No but coolant leaks are fairly common........given that it is OIL cooled. :shock:

:lol4:

(Sorry I couldn't resist.)
Actually it's air cooled :roll: Fully expected it and know it was coming, time was that would be true, these days not so much.
Pulled mine out today for a short 30 mile ride to town and back,hadn't been ridden in a few months and not a drop on the garage floor.8)
She turned sweet 16 January 15th and still rides as good as day one.

My old Iron,well she's over 40 and marks her spot but still runs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had more than a few air heads. Never worried about overheating much. Except in the gridlock at Myrtle Beach during bike week....

tarheel

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Nice looking place you have there Y2K. Good to see American cars in the garage too...that is a Neon to the left is it not?
Thanks,had the new home built here in 2012 to replace our aging mobile home.
No on the Neon lol. It's a '93 Z28 Camaro,5.7litre LT1 V-8 performance engine same as in the Corvette.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Oops... Camaro hey? certainly a sweet looking motor! Your house looks similar to ones in Melbourne...some of the most expensive real estate in Aus. What is that external wall material?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I'm an old school front engine V-8 rear drive kind of guy, grew up during the days when almost all American cars were front engine rear drive and most had V-8 power.
The walls are an engineered material, an exterior grade of waferboard called OSB (oriented strand board) ,sort of a cross between plywood and particleboard.
https://bct.eco.umass.edu/publications/by-title/choosing-between-oriented-strandboard-and-plywood/
The siding over it is cementboard,looks like wood but far more durable and waterproof.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts