Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2005 Suzuki katana gsx750f. I bought it put a new battery in it about 4 months ago. I have to charge it all the time though. the battery drains as soon as I try to turn the bike over. it also drops just when I turn the key to the on position. I checked the charging system with the flow chart and everything was right. now im at a loss. ive checked grounds and wires. all were snug. what could it be that completely draining my battery when I go to start it. I always have to have the choke on to start cause its like it doesn't have enough power to stay running. all turns off right away almost if the choke isn't on to warm it up. always garage kept. please help. I wanna do some riding before winter hits up here in Alaska.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Welcome to the conversation. Do you have a VOM you can check the voltage with? The battery should read appx 12.4 volts without any load. When the bike is running you get 13.5 to 14.5 volts. There is an outside chance you have a bad cell in the new battery and that would do exactly what you described. The second option is a short in the starting system.

·
Super Moderator
12,406 Posts
What he said.
Except that the resting voltage should be at least 12.6.

Exactly HOW do you know that your battery is dropping so fast ?
Your post kind of sounds like you are blaming a weak battery for the engine not running good when it's cold.......and those are two entirely different things.
Some choke is REQUIRED until it warms up and the battery has nothing to do with that.
Hard starting when cold often is a clue that you need to run some carb cleaner through with the gas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts