Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 84 RM250, cheap... It fires up on the first kick, doesn't idle (missing idle screw all together but i'll find one). The bike seems to run in waves of about 3 seconds, then tries to die, then runs, then ties to die. I tried to take it out, maybe to run it off but it does the same thing. The reason I think its electrical is that it doesnt bog just fades out like a kill switch. Any ideas?
I also opened up the carb, cleaned it out looks clear.

· Registered
6 Posts
It sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me. My lawn tractor had the same symptoms last week. The little hole on the gas cap was plugged and it wasn't getting enough gas. I don't think it would start and keep running if it was an electrical issue.

:? I forgot the obvious--check the gas. Is it fresh? Is the gas filter plugged? Pull the fuel line where it goes into the carburetor and see if gas freely flows out.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Changed the gas, used 30 to 1. Cleaned the fuel filter, check the fuel line, and cleaned the carb. It sounds better but still dies out. It idles fine now but when i give any gas it has mixed emotions about what it should do.

Thanks for your reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.