Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again to all. I'm showing voltage 12.43v when I tested to see if the bike is having battery drain. When I use a voltmeter and test between the negative side on the battery and the negative battery cable, I found what I think has to be a direct short circuit to get that high of a voltage reading, but where? No fuses blew. So we can have discussion and be looking for solutions, I just hard wired the stator wires to replace the melted plastic connection ( second time). Started the bike and looking at the volt meter, I got 13.2v at idle and 13.9v- 14.2v at 1500rpm or so. Acceptable readings and then the handlebar mounted voltmeter blacked out and I started checking things out and found voltage showing up where it isn't suppose to be. Even the fuse on the handlebar voltmeter is still good, but I touched the wires from voltmeter to the battery direct with nothing else hooked up to the battery (cables off) the meter is dead, RIP. @Easy Rider your a master electrician from what I've read, got any ideas? The bike is an 03 v-star 1100 classic.

·
Super Moderator
13,411 Posts
When I use a voltmeter and test between the negative side on the battery and the negative battery cable, I found what I think has to be a direct short circuit to get that high of a voltage reading, but where?
Like a LOT of people, you don't have a good handle on what a "short" really IS.

IF......you really read ANY voltage with the meter connected as you said, then you have an OPEN where there should be a solid connection.

If that description is true, then you need to be removing your negative cable connections, cleaning them and put them back on tight......but not tight enough to be stripping any bolts.
If that solves the problem, then you should do the positive side too just for good measure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is ridiculous, I have been trying to reply and thank you for the information you've given. I got on the forum and entered my ID and passcode and could not get on. I was told the forum has no record of my membership, I've been a member since 2018. I was told I needed to delete this information and rejoin the forum with new ID and create a new passcode and I could still use the same email address I'm using to receive the latest post discussions we're on right now. I use the new ID and passcode and go to bike discussions "YAMAHA" but seems that is a different forum than where we are here. To talk to you right now, I've used the old ID and passcode and here I am. Apparently I have two ID's to get on the forum now. Do you know who I can talk to about clearing this up? I got a feeling this is going to be a problem down the road. You might say, so go talk to whoever told me I needed to change ID? I would except I deleted those threads thinking everything was cleared up then.

·
Super Moderator
13,411 Posts
I got a feeling this is going to be a problem down the road. You might say, so go talk to whoever told me I needed to change ID? I would except I deleted those threads thinking everything was cleared up then.
The easy thing to do is: Just ignore that account that you don't want to use.
Only slightly harder is to let me know which one you would like deleted.

And.....in the future when something strange like that happens, wait a few hours and see if it doesn't go back to normal before you take any drastic action.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm responding to you through the email notification of "Trending Posts". I have to use the old ID/PASS to do this. When I go to the Motorcycle Forums.net Webb site I have to use the new ID/PASS to get on there, and when I do, I don't see this thread discussion anywhere. Right now I'm jumping back forth holding two conversations on the same subject. @amc49 says I'm creating the "OPEN" by removing the ground cable in the first place. If the grounding is good I should be able to connect the ground cable back up to the battery and check to see if I'm getting 12v+ dc volts by touching the meters black probe anywhere on the frame or motor that has clean metal surface. So I did that, and I'm getting the 12+v on several different places.
Back to the ID/PASSCODE issue, maybe I'm not looking in the right spot? Here it's " the house of the rising sun"/Yamaha, on the Webb site, to get to the "Yamaha forum" it's under "motorcycle manufactures". It took a couple of days to get things done with whoever is in charge of membership records, I don't want to keep doing this, I can't just ignore one account. I either stop taking to you or I stop talking on the Forum's Webb site.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ID/PASSCODE issues; There are two Motorcycle Forum Webb sites, (1) www.motorcycle forum.com. (2) www.motorcycle forums.net as you see at the top of this page. With #1, I can get on with the new ID/PASSCODE but does not have this discussion on record to continue. With #2, I enter the old ID/PASSCODE and get stuck in an endless loop with CAPTCHA identifying trains, planes and automobiles and going nowhere. In the email that uses the #2 site, I enter the old ID/PASSCODE and it will SOMETIMES redirect me to CAPTCHA but then allows me get on here. I mentioned in the previous post that I got on the www.motorcycle forum.net using the new ID/PASSCODE, I didn't, I THOUGHT I was on this forum. It turns out I was on the www. motorcycle forum.COM. This is turning into an Abbot and Costello's "whos on first" routine. Let me know if I can expect Rod Sterling to show anytime now.

·
Super Moderator
13,411 Posts
ID/PASSCODE issues; There are two Motorcycle Forum Webb sites, (1) www.motorcycle forum.com. (2) www.motorcycle forums.net as you see at the top of this page.
While the two sites look somewhat alike, they are NOT the same site.
Both sites are owned by the same people. I don't know why they did this......and I don't care.

You are making this MUCH harder than it really IS.

I suggest that you forget about the one ending in "forum.com" and just sign into THIS one when you go there and it asks you to sign in. That is: "motorcycleforums.net". Forget the other one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts